• Zagorath@aussie.zoneOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Personally I think these are an awesome idea, but I think the inconvenience of the location is going to make it a hard sell. If every Council library had a good stash of tools that could be borrowed (even for a fee, like the Brisbane Tool Library has) it would be awesome. But needing to travel all the way into the CBD to the State Library is an awkward roadblock. I hope it can be enough of a success where it is to grow out into more locations.

• lordriffington@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’d be especially awkward to rent a mower or something similarly large from SLQ. You’d either have to pay for parking or take it home on the train.

• Treevan 🇦🇺@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Can you crosspost to !gardeningaustralia as someone started the community yesterday and it’s devoid of content? Get them going at least.

• Treevan 🇦🇺@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I know but it’s respectful to ask the poster. Probably stems from people’s love of karma (that doesn’t exist here).

I did use the wefwef.app and you can see total scores in there. If I had my way, upvotes and downvotes wouldn’t be visible and it would be a slight shading system with a range of votes indicate the shade.

• Ada@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I mean, it’s respectful to ask before posting original content, but this is just a link to the ABC. If it’s useful to your community, share it!

• Treevan 🇦🇺@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

It’s not my community. I just dont like to see communities sitting there empty locally. If people are positing more varied stuff, being aware of related communities removes a step or 2. I can do it, I just don’t want to be the only person doing it.

• Ada@lemmy.blahaj.zone
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

The other side of that coin is that if someone likes something I post, I don’t want to have to federate and join multiple communities I’ve never heard of to share it there as well. I’m not the OP, but I’d much rather someone who is already a member do that part for me :)

• Zagorath@aussie.zoneOP
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

I’d much rather someone who is already a member do that part for me

That’s exactly how I feel, too. I’d rather not post something to a community that I don’t frequent most of the time, because I don’t want to intrude. I don’t garden—I swear I have a magenta thumb—so I don’t know anything about what they would enjoy. So I’m not gonna post stuff in there.

But I would never object to someone taking something I’ve posted publicly (whether it’s my own OC or me posting a reputable news source or anything in between) and posting it in good faith to another community that they think would like it.

• Treevan 🇦🇺@aussie.zone
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Read my other comment. I don’t think permission should be asked or required from external instances. Zagorath was cross posting inside of aussie.zone, they may have been unaware of the new community creation.

I’m happy to do it but everyone, in these early days, should be thinking about where they are posting to create the local content that is desperately needed. Reddit wasn’t built in a day.

• Lodion 🇦🇺@aussie.zoneM
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

I see it as all communities here on aussie.zone belong to all users. Mods are caretakers. So feel free to post or cross post appropriate content to any community.

• Zagorath@aussie.zoneOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m with Ada. I crossposted this here from a completely different instance’s community and never thought there was any need to get permission.

But if you want it, you absolutely have my permission to post this anywhere.

• Treevan 🇦🇺@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I wouldn’t ask for taking from another instance either, just moving it around in the local instance takes a team effort.