I just saw an email from Buy Me a Coffee. Not just one. I went in, and I’m truly shocked. Thank you all for the support; I would like to thank each and every one of you individually someday. Honestly, I don’t know what to say. The account balance is $350, which will definitely allow me to develop kbin faster or at least not worry so much about equipment costs. Today, I don’t have the headspace to think about how exactly I’ll use it, but I will definitely consult with you and report back in the future. Thank you also for all the kind words, suggestions, and questions. They are equally important to me.

I’m sorry that the current circumstances are such that kbin isn’t functioninng as it should, but it has given me additional motivation to keep fighting. That’s for sure.

• Sota4077@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Honestly dude start a Patreon or something even if you only do it for temporary. I would chip in $5/month for a while to pay for server costs if it means getting a stable site and a viable alternative to Reddit.

• Lor@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s also useful because it allows monthly flow, which is way more useful for planning than just a lump sum and ??? on what you’ll get in a few months.

• Redhotkurt@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Agreed, brah. I just donated, and would gladly donate via recurring methods if implemented. Also, what Kaldo said earlier…don’t develop this by yourself, you’re gonna burn out faster than you think.

• Kaldo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m glad the project is getting traction, it really seems like a promising piece of tech and I’d love for more people to start using it! Fediverse-based communities really seem like the future that we should work towards.

If there’s one piece of advice I could give as a fellow software dev… try not to take it all on yourself and burn out. Get the project as ready for contributors as possible, update readmes and docs and mark easy issues that other people can potentially solve. Otherwise it’s gonna start to feel like exponential amount of work and pressure over time.

Anyway, gj and gl!

• ZenArtist@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Solid advice! I’d also like to chime in and recommend that apart from keeping the official server alive so that new users can come in, please prioritize on making it easier for other developers to start contributing to the codebase and setting up new instances.

I love the way people are supporting you and the way this project has been shaping up. Best wishes!

• mstrbtr@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

@ernest You should do a big announcement for your donation thing. Do you have like a official Kbin fediverse profile for people to follow?

• experbia@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I definitely prefer this to patreon. I would absolutely set a monthly recurring donation for this project!

• StaticBoredom@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Great shout out to Open Collective. Better to support open source community efforts than yet another corpo-profit-machine

• missingno@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Make that $10 more.

I came into kbin with kinda low expectations. I fear that Reddit is too big to fail, and that if a competitor isn’t already where Reddit was when Digg died it won’t achieve the critical mass needed to get anywhere. My impression of Lemmy was that it’s just not ready yet.

But the more I explore kbin, the more impressed I am with the software. It’s still a long way to go to attract the userbase, and I still don’t know if that critical mass will come, but I want to try and push for this. Let’s see what happens, nothing to lose and everything to gain.

• Nadya@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Lemmy also has an issue of being developed and flagship instances ran by unironic Tankies. People are a lot slower to clue in on Tankies than Neo-Nazis because for some reason denying genocides as a hoax and Western propaganda works for Tankies in a way that denial of the Holocaust as a hoax and Jewish propaganda doesn’t work for Nazis. It’s funny because if the devs were Nazis nobody would touch Lemmy with a 20 foot pole. People are a lot more ignorant of Tankies and there is a big excuse of “So what? Just make your own Lemmy instance if it bothers you isn’t that the point of Federation?” that wouldn’t exist if the devs were Neo-Nazis rather than Tankies.

As long as they can closely control the narrative and keep the .ml (Marxist-Leninist) instances as the larger/flagship communities they’ll hold sway over their part of their part of the Fediverse and can surround themselves with people who are as radical as they are or open to being radicalized. Those who control the trunk control the branches.

I don’t know anything about ernest and I consider that a good thing because that means they don’t already have a bad reputation as a political extremist. Which made Kbin the easy choice to make between the two federation alternatives to Reddit.

• BlackCoffee@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I can understand your reasoning, but would your stance be different if you didn’t know the political spectrum/ideology of the devs when joining lemmy or something else?

Just because you don’t see something doesn’t mean that it isn’t there.

Have you vetted every single mod, admin, developer of every online community you joined to see if they are up to your political standards?

We are now on Kbin and can communicate with lemmy instances. Does that make one supportive of the ideology of the developers of lemmy?

• Kaldo@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

You make a good point but at the end of the day, the best you can do is choose the lesser evil, not let perfect be the enemy of good. We don’t know if Ernest has skeletons in his closet but we do know that lemmy does and they aren’t ashamed of them.

• ernest@kbin.socialOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

@Kaldo The point is, I don’t want to create a lesser evil here. I want to create something truly good, which is why from the very beginning I’ve been striving to be transparent on all fronts. I’ll just say that before starting from scratch, I tried to create kbin as a fork of Lemmy. I like Rust, I respect them as architects and I’ve learned a lot about managing such a project. However, ultimately, I believe that I cannot remain indifferent to certain things. That’s why kbin is what it is now. Nevertheless, that collaboration with Lemmy’s developers can be beneficial for all of us at this stage. After all, Lemmy is not just one instance, and many amazing people are building the fediverse using this software.

@BlackCoffee @Nadya @missingno