Hey Folks!

I’ve been living abroad for over half my life in a country where tipping is not the norm. At most you would round up. 19€ bill? Here’s a 20, keep this change.

Going to the US soon to visit family and the whole idea of tipping makes me nervous. It seems there’s a lot of discussion about getting rid of tipping, but I don’t know how much has changed in this regard.

The system seems ridiculously unfair, and that extra expense in a country where everything is already so expensive really makes a difference.

So will AITA if I don’t tip? Is it really my personal responsibility to make sure my server is paid enough?

• feidry@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

The federal minimum wage for tipped workers is $2.13/hr. Basically nothing. It wouldn’t cover your gas cost to go to work in most cases.

• EyesEyesBaby@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Wtf. US at it’s peak. At my first job, when I was 14 y/o, I made more than that (€2.72) doing restocking at a supermarket.

• sideone@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

As far as I understand it, US servers prefer the current system as they make more money from tips. Personally, if you prefer this system I think you don’t have any right to complain or get upset if someone doesn’t tip.

• funchords
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Wtf. US at it’s peak. At my first job, when I was 14 y/o, I made more than that (€2.72) doing restocking at a supermarket.

Supermarket stockers are not tipped so a higher minimum wage applies, which is $7.25 right now. However, laborers are also in high demand so most places pay more than the minimum.

• Stumblinbear@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

If their tips don’t pass the actual minimum wage, the employer is required to pay the difference up to the minimum.

• DarkMatterStyx@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Servers are paid a sub-minimum wage, as tips are supposed to round out their wages. When I wanted tables my paycheck barely covered the taxes on my cash and credit card tips.

• 2muchcaffeine4u@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

In most HCOL areas there is a higher minimum wage even for tipped workers, so keep that in mind. In DC for example minimum wage for tipped workers is going up annually over the next 4 years to meet regular minimum wage, up to about $17/hr. I anticipate tipping percentages should go down as this phases in as there will no longer be a differentiation.