I have some friends my age still listening to the same bands they used to 20 years ago, complaining about how music today sounds all the same. However I discover something new almost every day and I’m not kidding.

It’s true that some of my discoveries are bands from decades before I was born, so they can’t be considered new, although they are new to me if that makes sense.

What about you? Still listening to the same tunes you used to listen to when you were a teenager?

• HooGoesThere@beehaw.orgM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I actively seek new music (and discover older music that I previously didn’t listen to, just like you described) but also have bands that I’ve been a fan of since I was a kid that I still listen to. I exclusively listened to 60s and 70s rock when I was growing up, Zeppelin and The Beatles are still two of my favorite bands, but I have definitely expanded my palette since then. I agree that the “music these days” take is a tired one; if your only source of new music is the hits radio, of course, it will all sound the same.

I have this beef with people who say new country music sucks (or any genre for that matter) - sure there are bro-country singers that only sing about trucks and beer, but there are also insanely talented country musicians and songwriters out there right now.

• randomnick@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah! So many music available that it’s impossible to get bored. I am not the biggest Beatles fan, but I really cringe when somebody says they are not that good, they are still copied!

• SlowNPC@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I have this beef with people who say new country music sucks

Aren’t the decent guys calling themselves “Americana” nowadays? Coulter Wall, Tyler Childers, etc? The pop-with-fiddles they play on Country radio is mostly terrible.