I have some friends my age still listening to the same bands they used to 20 years ago, complaining about how music today sounds all the same. However I discover something new almost every day and I’m not kidding.

It’s true that some of my discoveries are bands from decades before I was born, so they can’t be considered new, although they are new to me if that makes sense.

What about you? Still listening to the same tunes you used to listen to when you were a teenager?

• idrum4316@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I still listen to everything I did 10 years ago, but I’ve added a lot of new music too since then. The rate I’ve been finding new music at has skyrocketed since I discovered bandcamp a few years ago.

• flux@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Don’t be too hard on your friends. This is actually scientifically proven. https://neurosciencenews.com/music-youth-17765/ You love the music that you “grew up with as you were forming an identity” You can always change but it is more work to create new memories and nostalgia based on different or “new” songs.

• randomnick@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Of course not 😅 I’m not judging them at all, I finished years ago that phase where I thought my music taste what better than theirs now I just know it is /s

• fl1ghtless@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not new bands but new to me. I managed to be a mild metalhead my whole life yet never listened to Iron Maiden. I started on their music a few months ago. I can’t believe I waited until I was in my forties to pick them up. Amazing guitar work and great vocals.

• Monkeytennis@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I rented their Live After Death from Lovefilm about 15 years ago, and that’s what got me into them. Couldn’t believe I’d written them off as an 80s band I wouldn’t like.

• HooGoesThere@beehaw.orgM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I actively seek new music (and discover older music that I previously didn’t listen to, just like you described) but also have bands that I’ve been a fan of since I was a kid that I still listen to. I exclusively listened to 60s and 70s rock when I was growing up, Zeppelin and The Beatles are still two of my favorite bands, but I have definitely expanded my palette since then. I agree that the “music these days” take is a tired one; if your only source of new music is the hits radio, of course, it will all sound the same.

I have this beef with people who say new country music sucks (or any genre for that matter) - sure there are bro-country singers that only sing about trucks and beer, but there are also insanely talented country musicians and songwriters out there right now.

• SlowNPC@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I have this beef with people who say new country music sucks

Aren’t the decent guys calling themselves “Americana” nowadays? Coulter Wall, Tyler Childers, etc? The pop-with-fiddles they play on Country radio is mostly terrible.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah! So many music available that it’s impossible to get bored. I am not the biggest Beatles fan, but I really cringe when somebody says they are not that good, they are still copied!

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I linked it somewhere else in the thread. I’m finding there a lot of “new” stuff really interesting, even some of my favourites album are included here!

• flux@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’ve been meeting up with some friends for five years going through the 1001 albums book. You’d be surprised How much to can identify items in modern music that trace back decades. I love finding albums I overlooked or some that I thought I knew better but never really sat down with the entire album. I also set up and /c/albums@lemmy.world if anyone what’s to discuss albums.

• perezoso@latte.isnot.coffee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Awesome, you’ll find a few gems along the way that will be completely different from anything you’ll normally listen to. Enjoy it

• borlax@lemmy.borlax.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Both honestly. There are plenty of bands that I used to listen to as a teenager that I still listen to now, both their old stuff and new stuff. I also have found new bands making new music and old bands making new music with a great back catalogue.

• perkele@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Youtube has put me onto a lot of Australian stuff lately, such as Smoko (The Chats) and Hertz (Amyl and the Sniffers) as well as some more indie stuff like Wet Leg. I might just be old but these bands are all new to me and I love it.

• LemmyAtem@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m a mix. I really enjoy finding new bands, even if they’re not new bands. Recently I’ve gotten EXTREMELY into Lorna Shore (Deathcore/extreme metal band). I’d never heard them, they’ve been around about a decade, but they’re new to me! Last year was the year of Bad Omens (Heavy Rock with some metal core tendencies). I’ve also been liking this synthy band The Midnight lately (like 80s electro pop complete with saxophone solos).

The way I find most of new bands is usually by either listening to bands I already like or have been into forever and using like “radio” feature on Spotify (Lorna) OR by searching out the openers for bands I like and checking out their music Bad Omens/The Midnight). It’s so fun to come across an artist you’ve never heard and dog into their catalogue and realize they’ve got multiple albums filled with bangers.

• rustyspoon@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Lorna Shore might as well be new. They sort of rebuilt around their new singer, who’s and amazingly talented vocalist.

They’ve also been blowing up like crazy. They’re sort of doing to deathcore what Turnstile is doing to hardcore, and its exciting to be a part of that

• LemmyAtem@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Even if their music isn’t for everyone (it’s ABSOLUTELY not, 99+% of people probably would hate it), what they’re doing from an approachability standpoint is maybe the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. If you go to their YouTube right now, you can find one-take vocal performances of 3-4 of their songs. You’ll also find high quality drum, guitar and bass playthroughs. Like, as a drummer and singer, being able to watch Will Ramos and Austin Archey play their songs in 4K and observe their techniques up close is AMAZING. I wish more artists did things like that.

• rustyspoon@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah they’re not my favorite personally. I’m not super into symphonic metal and their particular brand of it just sounds extremely “noisy” to me, like I’m at a festival listening to a death core band and there’s a power metal band on the next stage whose sound is bleeding over. I’m more of a Signs of the Swarm guy.

That being said I can’t stop watching Ramos’ one-takes, and I love the bands’ breakdowns (although I’m already seeing their style become trendy and its definitely gonna get old at some point).

• ABlackWaltz@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I mostly still listen to the same stuff I used to. Most of my favorite bands are still coming out with albums, so every time something new drops I get to add that into the mix. Occasionally I’ll add in a new song, whether I hear it in a videogame (my husband loves videogame music, so I’ve added some great tracks as a result) or the radio or with a friend, but I haven’t had a new artist grab me the way my favorites did once upon a time. In that way, I might just be resistant to change.

I definitely don’t necessarily have the time to look for new stuff, so I usually stumble upon it. I don’t agree that all music today sounds the same - at least, not anymore “the same” than what was coming out ten years ago. Sure, some things within a genre might be similar, but I don’t think it’s any more “same-y” now than it used to be. If you’re finding new stuff you enjoy, past or present, I think that’s awesome.

• leem@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I used to go out and purposefully look for new music from time to time. Lately I’ve just been playing Spotify radios of artists I like and finding new artists through that. They have a new feature on the mobile app that’s kinda like TikTok. You click on tropicalia or norm core or whatever and it plays you similarly tagged songs. After 10-20 songs, it recommends new related hashtags to try out.

A good way to find new music if you’re into less popular stuff is to go by the label. If you like an artist, check out the labels they’ve released their albums on! chances are that you’ll find a few other artists you’ll like too.

• Kellamity@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Ive struggled a lot with getting into new music. Its just too easy to be in a comfortable loop of what you know and are used to, I guess.

This year I’ve started a personal project where i listen to at least one unique album a day, normally 2 or 3. I’ve discovered so much music, both old stuff thats ‘new to me’, and recent releases. Its got me into a few genres that i never listened too, as well.

Plus, theres so many bands that I ‘liked’ but had actually really only known the hits, like AC/DC for example, and its fun to actually listen through an album for once and get to know them better!

So yeah thats for sure something I’d recommend if you have the time for it

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m doing something similar following this project https://1001albumsgenerator.com you don’t need to register with an email, although it helps. A new album is suggested everyday, and even if they are not they kind of music you usually like, I am sure you will be able to appreciate why it was included in the list.

• saxy_sax_player@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve always listened to new music. I still keep up with bands I’ve always liked and occasionally listen to my old favorites, but there’s SO MUCH GREAT MUSIC coming out all the time I suffer from major FOMO. So I’m always trying to check out new stuff.

• ed@battleangels.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

@randomnick@beehaw.org @music@beehaw.org Why can’t it be both? Classic albums are classic for a reason, and there is a ton of new music to get into. I hope I don’t get into the rut of a fixed playlist, though most of my new music comes from online discovery, whereas it used to mates / social.

Also nothing wrong with exploring the long tail of music history.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah both options are the best, I am not even able to pick one or the other. Actually, why would you do that? So many great music that’s it’s impossible to pick just one.

I was opening the question due to some people saying music “it’s not the same anymore”, when they actually mean “I still listen to the same music I used to”. Nothing wrong with that either, but my point is there is still good music to be discovered.

• culturerevolt@culture0.cc
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I actively seek out new bands or releases in my favorite genres, but I still absolutely listen to the same things as I did 10, or even 20, years ago.

• bird@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I am super into consuming new and contemporary music (mainly pop and R&B). I traditionally used a subreddit to follow all of the new releases, so I’ll have to see how to stay as current all things considered.

My listening habits usually revolve around rotating the new stuff ad nauseam until all meaning and emotion is gone, then accepting more new music as it releases.

I love looking at my yearly top 100 song playlists and shuffling them for some spice.