• @Maultasche@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    208 months ago

Are those Calm Belts without hurricanes the reason it’s so difficult to enter the Grand Line?

• Machefi
    link
    fedilink
    English
    158 months ago

For a second I thought it was another one of those “for the first time in recorded history” things

• @grozzle@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    8 months ago

This map is a great illustration of why the “ty” of typhoon is from the “Tai” of Taiwan in the original meaning of the word.

Bonus fun fact - “hurricane” is from a native Caribbean word, from the same language family as another loanword “hammock”.

• @FlickOfTheBean@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      68 months ago

This sounds interesting as heck, what do you mean this map is a great illustration of the original meaning of the word?

For some reason I thought the word typhoon popped into vernacular around the 1940s, but I think that story might be made up now that I’m older and thinking about it.

• @grozzle@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        8 months ago

It’s from 台风 (sounds like typhon, more than it sound like typhoon tbh) and tbh the “ty” part might just be from “dai” meaning “big”, so just “big wind”, but I’ve heard it’s just as likely to be “wind from Taiwan”, the same 台 ty as in 台風, Taiwan.

And yeah, this map proves that Taiwan (and northern Philippines) is the world capital of strong typhoons.

• @lemming007@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        28 months ago

What, the Earth will stop rotating? You do realize Earth rotation is the reason hurricanes don’t cross the equator?

• @heeplr@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          8 months ago

What? Where did I say that? Everyone knows that the equator region will become inhospitable in a few years because of the combination of high temperature and high humidity. Certainly not “the place to be”.

• @lemming007@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Everyone knows will become inhospitable in a few years

Ok, buddy. Remind me in a few years. I’ll move to the equator and you can move to Antarctica, we’ll see who fares better.

The schools really are brainwashing the kids these days…

• Norgur
    link
    fedilink
    68 months ago

Is it just me or does this world map look off?

• @BlazeOP
      link
      English
      128 months ago

It is centered on the Pacific Ocean, which is a bit unusual indeed

• @FlickOfTheBean@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      78 months ago

This probably isn’t what happened to you, but my brain assumed the dark areas were the land masses for a good long while until I realized why it looked like a nonsense map lol