• Bernie Ecclestoned@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Frequency

70 families worldwide are known to carry the gene associated with the disease, 37 sporadic cases diagnosed (as of September 20th, 2022)

• Zoidsberg@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

The fist stage, “Characterized by worsening insomnia, resulting in panic attacks, paranoia, and phobias. This stage lasts for about four months,” I have to imagine a lot of people, only this far in, would be considering suicide. I wonder how many cases are never caught or diagnosed in time. Might me more common than we know.

Sorry, I’m really leaning into the “creepy” side of the community.

• Zoidsberg@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’m glad you made it through! Do you mind me asking what caused and cured it, if you ever found out? I’ve always struggled with both anxiety and sleep, and I find this stuff really interesting.

• LazerDickMcCheese@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Thanks! Very long story short for the sake of anonymity: work-related stress and harassment. The day I left my job of many years (without a plan or follow-up), it suddenly went away. I have sleep disorders on top of that, but they’re manageable in comparison

• Willard Herman@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Having suffered the none fatal variety a good amount in my life, and too much in the last eight days, I can only say I would be surprised if it were not thing case.