Taylor Swift managed to drive record-breaking numbers to voter registration website Vote.org after urging her 232 million followers on Instagram to take action.

On Tuesday (19 September), hours after the pop star, 32, called on her US fanbase to register to vote in honour of National Voter Registration Day, Vote.org’s communication director, Nick Morrow, announced that “our site was averaging 13,000 users every 30 minutes”.

“Fun fact: after @taylorswift13 posted on Instagram today directing her followers to register to vote on @votedotorg, our site was averaging 13,0000 users every 30 minutes,” Morrow wrote on X/Twitter.

“13! Let’s just say her reputation for being a mastermind is very well-earned.”

Earlier that day, the “Anti-Hero” singer had posted to her Story, asking followers: “Are you registered to vote yet?

• rbhfd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Now if she’d just leave the personal jet in it’s hangar.

Definitely not a fan of elites flying in their private jets to whatever luxury location.

But can you imagine Taylor Swift flying in a public airplane? She’d be harassed endlessly, even in first class.

Some people are just too well known, unfortunately.

• ilikekeyboards@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Well let’s be hoping she doesn’t turn weird like JK Rowling. It seems there’s something in the air that makes billionaires turn rather right wing

I’ve avoided saying things like fascist, nazi, bigot, because there’s been a history of JK Rowling litigating people who call her a fascist, transphobic, bitch and I don’t want to do that yet

• Kage520@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I think a comment I saw recently makes this make sense.

A lot of people have told me as you age, you get more conservative. I have not noticed this happen, but I think an entire generation did. Boomers. As they aged they had so many advantages the entire generation acquired things. Things they don’t want to lose because they feel like they earned it. In some ways they did earn it (eg, pursued that promotion, bought that house after “a whole summer of working OT!”)… they just don’t recognize they started on third base and did not in fact hit a home run.

So if an entire generation can be as awful as they are, I think it must be a general glitch in human psychology. As long as you FEEL like you earned something, you will fight to protect it. I think that’s what happens to billionaires. And aging republicans. There will always be exceptions, but I think in general humans will just tend to be this way.

• Serdan@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

There has been research along those lines. If you give someone twice the starting money in Monopoly, they’ll still say they won due to skill.

Humans are ridiculous.

• BaconIsAVeg@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

There was a video I saw a while back of a look-alike getting swarmed by fans, fans who were bawling about meeting her, it’s just fucking nuts. I saw Harrison Ford once from a distance, and I was like “hey cool, I saw Harrison Ford”, but some people just go apeshit.

• socsa@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

She’d probably be fine in first class as long as she got to board separately.

• RememberTheApollo_@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Celebs do get boarded separately if they request it.

However, I’ve flown several celebs around on a commercial n first class and zero people give them grief. They’ve all been quiet and low-key.

• Margot Robbie@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

She’d be harassed endlessly, even in first class.

Some people are just too well known, unfortunately.

The unfortunate truth is that you have to do what you have to do to protect yourself.

• Prior_Industry@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

You would have thought she would just pay to get trees planted to match her co2 output produced from jet travel. Not ideal but better than nothing.