• magnetosphere@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I don’t pirate indie games, small-budget movies, or music from unknown bands. I hurt major corporations specifically.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

You misunderstood. I meant that piracy is literally how many of games were saved. GOG started because some guys stockpiled pirated copies of games, then cracked and/or reversed engineered them to work on modern PCs. Eventually, they got the rights to sell some legally and GOG.com was born.

My point was that piracy isn’t always bad because companies have no incentive to preserve their products after they’ve stopped selling. (See vintage ROMs)

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

GOG started because some guys stockpiled pirated copies of games, then cracked and/or reversed engineered them to work on modern PCs. Eventually, they got the rights to sell some legally and GOG.com was born.

Nice! Didn’t know that!

My point was that piracy isn’t always bad because companies have no incentive to preserve their products after they’ve stopped selling. (See vintage ROMs)

True.

• AllonzeeLV@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Exactly.

They steal more than we can dream.

They just used their influence to legalize their grift.

Legality ≠ Morality

Especially in a horrendously unjust nation such as ours.

• magnetosphere@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

The phrase “Legality ≠ Morality” comes to mind several times a week. Too many people let themselves ignore ethics because they don’t think (or care) about the difference.