I’m looking for some BIFL over ear (wireless Bluetooth, since I’m always breaking the wires by accident) headphones.

I haven’t had much luck with the earbud things. They’re always falling out unless I put them in real well. I want something you can just put in and forget about. Something good for working in the field, running, etc.

It’s annoying to have a pair of headphones you really like, only for them to break around the two year mark. Seems like nothing lasts these days.

I’d be willing to pay up to $200, but do tend to buy most things used.

Thanks.

• johnnycashsguitar@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

That’s a bummer with the Bluetooth thing. The main thing that’s broken with all my pairs of Bluetooth headphones is the body of the headphone itself. Guess the battery wouldn’t have lasted much longer anyway.

I’ll look into those sennheisers.

• Cris@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Batteries may last long enough to get a long lifespan out of something like headphones, they just can’t last forever, and generally won’t be very repairable once the batteries in them die. But if the main body of the headphones are what’s breaking, you’re probably getting too cheap of headphones. I’ve had a pair of Bose wireless headphones last a long ass time, I’ve heard good things about the audiotechnica ATH mX50s which have both a wired and wireless version, and if wired is okay, the Sony MDR7506 is commonly used as studio monitors and should last a long time, but they don’t have a detachable cable unless you mod them. Sennheisers are nice enough I would expect them to also last pretty well. Generally as things get nicer, the places that are likely to fail first are the wiring/the main cable (the wire bends until it no longer makes a consistent connection, making your music choppy) or the battery in Bluetooth headphones. And the earpads and headband will wear out. So make sure they have replaceable earpads (anything reasonably nice should), and ideally wired headphones should have a replaceable cable.

If you want Bluetooth make sure the battery capacity and battery life are longer than you need. The more excess you have, the less wear and tear your usage will put on the battery by cycling it deep into low battery levels over and over (or letting it die), and the more breathing room you’ll have before the battery life becomes too little to be useful, extending its life.

• HidingCat@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Between the wires failing and the body breaking, I think you should evaluate how you use and carry your headphones.

My additional tip is to avoid anything that has soft-touch or rubberised coatings on a part that’s not easily replaceable.