I think a material difference between Iraq (v2 anyway) and Ukraine is that they can keep doing the “well Russia was the aggressor” thing indefinitely even if the reality is more complicated.

also yes obviously some libs are still stubborn about Iraq, the worst ones, but for the most part its generally agreed that the Iraq War was a bad thing.

• Chapo_is_Red [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Gen alpha libs will. They’ll say that “X conflict we’re supporting is unlike America’s past mistakes such as Ukraine, which is ancient history.”

• Evilsandwichman [none/use name]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Very optimistic of you to think it’ll take as long as 2034.

I saw Trump Derangement Syndrome afflicted libs who froth at the mouth and gnash their teeth at the mere mention of his name become reasonable, rational and bipartisan when mention comes up regarding Trump potentially invading Mexico or Venezuela. Adolf Hitler could literally eke out a victory and libs would be ready to set aside their differences when the matter of invading nations the newspaper tells them are bad comes up.

• Evilsandwichman [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Gen alpha libs will. They’ll say that “X conflict we’re supporting is unlike America’s past mistakes such as Ukraine, which is ancient history.”

I work with a lib who I probably won’t still be working with in about ten years time (our company has high turnover) who will absolutely be like this, and he’s in his mid-30’s. At best he’s going to agree that Ukraine was a mistake (although I doubt it) although instead will most likely still defend the decisions with Ukraine as ‘do you agree that Putin is bad?’; this guy says he’s against US empire, but any lengthy discussion with him will reveal that no he doesn’t really oppose the military decisions of the US. ‘He was no angel’ will be the prevailing argument every single time; never mind that the lives of the people in countries that get invaded or suffer intervention just get far worse. He lacks a ton of knowledge regarding the wars and interventions and receiving that knowledge does nothing to shake his unwavering faith in the goodness of the US government.