I think a material difference between Iraq (v2 anyway) and Ukraine is that they can keep doing the “well Russia was the aggressor” thing indefinitely even if the reality is more complicated.

also yes obviously some libs are still stubborn about Iraq, the worst ones, but for the most part its generally agreed that the Iraq War was a bad thing.

• autismdragon [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.netOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yeah, and I know people who buy this one too.

Another “small server I’m in” story (a different, but related one). Server owner has as strict rule about 9/11 jokes that I’ve been scolded for breaking before. OK fine. But one of his posters posted a meme that involved bombing North Korea, and I objected saying if we can’t joke about 9/11 then we shouldnt be able to joke about that because that actually happened and a massive amount of people died ect ect.

Server admin said that that’s different because 9/11 was an “unprovoked attack” (lol at it being unprovoked) while “Kim was being a new Hitler” (shorthand for “doing an invasion” I guess, all invasions the same I guess) and therefor the US was justified in bombing them (said civilian deaths are tragic but its still not the same). Luckily in that case his mods revolted against this decision, one because he thought “no jokes about tragedies means no jokes about tragedies” and the other because she agreed with more on a more political level even though she’s still mostly a lib. So that decision got overturned and the meme got deleted and it was made clear you can’t joke about that. So I “won” but it stuck with me that these are things people actually believe.