My phone is normally worse for color gradients and contrasts than my eyes. Also, normally it has worse nightvision.

But when decreasing the shutter speed, for example in OpenCamera, I get crazy night pics.

I see that when its dark my FPS goes down, I see less frames automatically and totally cant control that.

Could this mechanism be altered, to have even less FPS but more photons in the soup to get brighter sight?

Yes, trying to hack my eyes here. “Getting used to darkness” is normally the pupils getting wider, there are quite some interesting plants to do that but I havent heard of anything altering the brains image processing.

Edit

I learned:

• in Nightsight we use the rod cells, which take longer to send a signal. That way they capture more photons, but the “FPS” is lower
  • you can trick your iris naturally to stay open, like the Pirates did (some plants like nightshades also do this, applied locally)
  • LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Changing the FPS would not change your exposure. Changing the shutter angle/speed would. So does changing the aperture. We don’t have shutter speed in our eyes, but we do have an iris! Your eyes actually change your iris aperture naturally when in the dark.

You can even trick your body to change the iris on only one eye. Cover one eye for a few minutes (at least 15-20min) in a brightly lit environment then move to a rack room (not pitch black but very minimal light) and open your covered eye. Your covered eye’s iris is already wide open and you can see well from it. The other one needs time to adjust.

This is why pirates were wearing eye patches, to be able to enter the hull of the ship and see immediately without lighting up a candle. Fire is not a good idea inside a wooden ship filled with black powder.

• OptimusPhillip@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

This is why pirates were wearing eye patches, to be able to enter the hull of the ship and see immediately without lighting up a candle. Fire is not a good idea inside a wooden ship filled with black powder.

This is one theory for why pirates wore eyepatches. We haven’t found any historical evidence to confirm it. Meanwhile, we have at least a few documented cases of pirates wearing eyepatches for protecting a damaged eye.

• doctor_han@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Retina has mechanisms to flip different switches and go into high sensitivity mode. Changing the ISO, if you will. The pupils change consensually under normal physiological circumstances. Even with only one eye closed. If they don’t, you might want to go see a doctor!

• LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

True! And our nightstand vision receptors don’t see colors as well. That’s why things look black and white at night. That’s also why you need to desaturate your image if you’re filming something that is supposed to take place T night because the camera keeps full saturation even in low light.

• Asudox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Nice. After 6 years of wondering what those eyepatches pirates wear for in movies were for, I randomly learn it from a random Lemmy post.