• lackthought@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

keep the original voices though!

The voice acting in those games were top-notch and I don’t want to risk ruining that

• EveningPancakes@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I thought Defiance wrapped it up, no? It’s been a long time since I played it but all I remember was a convoluted time travel story

• Venutian Spring@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

No, it wrapped up the story of Raziel (kind of), but it ended with Raziel sacrificing himself to cleanse Kain so he could avoid having to die to heal Nosgoth. There was supposed to be a sequel that would see Kain go on purifying the pillars, but too late for that now.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m trying to replay the series right now on my Steam Deck. Started with Soule Reaver, but the controls are pretty jarring coming from modern control schemes. Soul Reaver 2 was always my favorite though, the story and setting of that game is a masterpiece

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

That’s what I ended up doing. I’m playing it through emudeck. The camera is still awful though, so I doubt that I will finish the game. I’ll most likely jump to Soul Reaver 2.

• astroturds@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Eternal darkness for the GameCube could be so good with a proper remaster.

The original Quake but the asthetic needs to be identical and NIN should actually do the soundtrack.

Deus Ex would be great, it was so ahead of its time.

• argv_minus_one@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas could use a 64-bit version. Even if they change absolutely nothing else about those games, that alone would be a major improvement, as they are very prone to crashing from running out of address space, especially if you have graphics mods installed.

• Silverhand@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Not saying that these shouldn’t have a more stable official release, but hasn’t this been solved by mods for a long while now? At least New Vegas I remember when I last set up mods installing a fix for this, it’s actually quite stable now if you install all the recommended fixes.

• Storksforlegs@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Also there is a modding team making a remaster of new vegas using the fallout 4 engine. It looks really impressive, they’ve been working on it for years now.

• Gork@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Deus Ex. The original one. It has such great story and gameplay but is dated by today’s standards.

• aegisofdark@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Maybe this is moot since they would just do the usual Square Enix “remaster” (read: poorly upscaled and very basic QoL improvements)

I want some love for Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross. Even if they just made it 2.5 HD similar to Octopath Traveller, Diofield Chronicle, etc

• comicallycluttered@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Early BioWare stuff. Specifically KOTOR (don’t know what’s going on with that remake, but doesn’t seem to be going anywhere right now), KOTOR II (yes, I know it’s Obsidian, but still), and Jade Empire. Probably Dragon Age: Origins as well.

Since they’re already doing it, it’s probably a useless mention, but Splinter Cell needed it, especially for PC.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and the Kyle Katarn Jedi games could probably do with a touch-up as well. But they’re “not canon”, so that’s not happening.

Maybe also the original Deus Ex and/or Thief.

I expect System Shock 2 might get one in a few years, although it isn’t as desperately needed as the original was.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Bioware just announced layoffs.

God forbid any exec there have literally any brains or sight above 3 months. I’m so goddamn frustrated with the shell corporation formally known as Bioware. Yes, your quarterly revenue is in the toilet, you invest money to make a killer game and make profit when you release. Games take time, stop fucking laying off people and trying to squeeze it for every dollar and just make a good goddamn game.

They have massive IPs like KOTOR, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age that literally everyone is chomping at the bit for. They could have staff working on all three with a new game coming out every two years with DLCs in between, but they’re afraid to invest in it.

They could have the next RDR2 or Witcher - if they actually invested in it. They could be the name for RPGs again, but they’re too afraid about not being able to afford their next BMW.

• Sordid@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

They could be the name for RPGs again

Unpopular opinion: They never were. And neither was Bethesda. Black Isle/Obsidian are the true masters of RPGs. There was a period of time when they would take other studios’ engines and IPs and produce sequels/spin-offs that vastly surpassed the original in terms of writing and world design. Bioware made Baldur’s Gate, Black Isle made Planescape: Torment. Bioware made Neverwinter Nights, Obsidian made NWN2. Bioware made KotOR, Obsidian made KotOR2. Bethesda made Fallout 3, Obsidian made Fallout: New Vegas. If anything, it’s Black Isle/Obsidian games that deserve to be remastered.

• gaydarless@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Ugh, how disappointing. :( As one of the many, many many people waiting for DA: Dreadwolf to maybe, hopefully, someday come out… this is bad news.

Edit: Maybe it’ll be fine! I am just not holding my breath.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m disheartened by dreadwolf. Talk about a game with 10+ years of hype building, the fanbase is incredibly loyal, most gamers know the franchise well enough to pick it up at launch, all it needs is stable investment from a studio. It was announced now 5 years ago, and we’ve had… 1 behind the scenes video and another 30 second trailer but plenty of news of team issues and money issues.

• PorkTaco@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I’ve run into a deal breaking issue for me. Functions kind of like ‘reverse mouse acceleration.’ Faster I move the mouse the slower the camera moves. If I try to make a quick turn during a gunfight it remains basically stationary. Tried adjusting every setting and can’t get it resolved. Only behaves like that in the emulator. Really bummed because I REALLY want to play it.

• dfyx@lemmy.helios42.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For most of them a proper remake rather than a remaster but I’ll take what I can get

• Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
    • Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (originally used the same engine as Age of Empires 2 so porting it to the Definitive Edition engine should be doable)
    • The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    • Final Fantasy VI
    • Final Fantasy VIII
    • Assassin’s Creed 1
    • pepsison52895@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Played Assassin’s Creed 1 recently and it’s so clunky. A remaster would need some new controls or something to be viable today, but a remake would be better.

• sandmesomesand@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

very niche but Skies of Arcadia! I miss my pirate RPG with airship battling featuring main characters that may or may not develop a harem at the end.

• Valliac@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago
    • Parasite Eve
    • Prototype 1
    • Legend of Dragoon
    • NFL Blitz (just a modern upgrade, keep the arcade feel)
    • Smash TV

We’re actually getting a Star Ocean 2 remaster in November, so I can cross that off the list.

• SuperSteef@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Love seeing PE and LoD on here, both incredible games. I would also love to see Xenogears get a remaster that actually fleshes out a lot of the stuff left on the cutting room floor. I know we got Xenosaga - another one that would be great to have on modern hardware - and Xenoblade Chronicles but I truly miss that PS1 era of RPGs sticking with the turn-based model while trying to find ways to be unique.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Final Fantasy 9. It’s my favourite in the series, and it’s gotten lots of rereleases in its original form. But it would be nice if it got a more polished updated remaster.

Though I would be afraid of how modern Square sensibilities might change the pretty iconic character designs.

• SCmSTR@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The main reason this world/could work is because it IS so quirky, that they couldn’t fuck it all up like they have everything else progressively more since ff9 came out. Square peaked with ff7 and took a nosedive after 10, change my mind. Baseless uneducated hot take: I blame Enix. Either that, or they still haven’t figured out how to actually bring fun JRPG gameplay into the 21st century without ruining it and making it generic and dull. Ff11 onwards lack intimacy, value, and quiet - they’re tacky, cheap, and feel disingenuous.

So, ff9 getting a remaster, they couldn’t mess up something that’s the antithesis of their modern stuff so badly that that quirky game loses ALL of it’s appeal.

I say all of this knowing this dissent and criticism will upset people, but I’ve been staying quiet on this for far too long and it has to be said.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I don’t know, I think it’s possible they do mess it up, I would worry they would update the character designs to be more “marketable” (the cast of FF9 really are a weird looking bunch, but in a good way)

But I hope you’re right!