One of the biggest issues I’m having trouble getting past with Lemmy is not knowing which communities to subscribe to.

An example, if there are like 10+ different communities for “technology”, do I really have to subscribe to all of them just to get the same experience I would have gotten on /r/technology?

Is there a way to “clump” these communities together so I can just subscribe to one “multi-community” that houses the posts from all of them?

• T0rrent01@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Think these “fractured” distributed communities are the new normal we need to embrace moving forward. It seems like we’ve been conditioned to think in terms of corporations and monopolies for too long, and maybe, just maybe, a more “splintered” approach could work better.

Why does everything need to fit in one uniform or under one roof? Humanity is diverse, and we have diverse experiences.

• Klear@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s about ease of use. If there are two very similar communitites both with decent amount of content that interests you, you want to follow both and you don’t want to think about which is which. You don’t care. You want the content.

• Thrasybulus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Wanting more diverse experiences and perspectives is exactly why its beneficial having large amounts of people concentrated in one community. People want to be able to interact with a large amount of people, in one place where they can get the benefit of the collective knowledge and experience.

• T0rrent01@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I appreciate the alternative opinion and am glad you offered it.

Another user mentioned “communities following communities” which I think could serve as a viable middle ground.

• islandofcaucasus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is like saying “why do libraries have categories, we should just all under one roof.” I shouldn’t have to go to 5 different sections of the library to get self help books