• Agent641@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Im well aware that the purpose of not foldering the files befor zipping them is so you can unzip them directly in their destination folder, eg if its a website filepath, but I never have done that. I either unzip them to a new folder then copy them across, or i accidentally unzip them directly, spilling files all over the desktop.

• stebo02@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m repeating myself here but I hate it when people say “Just use X. It’s better.” and then omit explaining why it’s better. Give us a reason to consider changing or say nothing at all

• slapchop@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Fair enough. 7z offers basically the same functionality as winRar including windows shell extensions (right click -> extract here, etc). It has slightly better compression ratios than WinRAR, and it’s open source. It doesn’t nag you to register.

It also supports an insane number of file formats. It will extract files from every pretty much every obscure archive you can think of (.ace, .cab) and all kinds of file types you wouldn’t expect like self-extracting executables, isos, .msi installers, vmdks, and more.

• royal_starfish@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Actually, if you are using 7zip on windows 11, consider giving nanazip a try. It is 7zip but it adds the shortcuts to the new(and debatably worse) right click context menu on windows 11.

And don’t quote me on this but I remember having seen somewhere that the devs of 7zip says they won’t update 7zip to use the new context menu.

• stebo02@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Sounds cool. I’m still just using the unzipper that’s built in windows explorer. I don’t see why it’s inadequate.

• aeronmelon@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Don’t be like my friend and unzip large archives to the desktop.

He couldn’t use his desktop.

• vettnerk@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

My private PC: a shell script for altering xmodmap more to my liking. Nothing else.

Work PC: endless excel files, text files with notes, a bunch of schematics in pdf format, new folder, new folder (1), aoeu.txt, misc shortcuts, a folder full of stuff I probably don’t need anymore but shouldn’t delete, a couple of work related pictures, a myriad ofbhalf-finished reports, a 4gig dd dump that I honestly don’t remember making, only that it was important for later for… something. Sometimes i take everything and stick it into a subfolder with a date as the name, in an attempt at cleaning up the desktop while keeping things that might still be important. I have five of these folders on the desktop. I ought to make a sixth.

• Scubus@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Speaking of screenshots and desktops, next time you want to prank your friend, take a screenshot of his desktop. Then set that as his desktop background. Then right click and hide desktop images. Now, it looks like everything is normal, but nothing can be interacted with.

For extra oomph, open task manager and close explorer.exe. This will disable the task bar, right clicking, and the start menu. Now the only way to fix it is to know the hotkey to open taskmanager, or to reboot the system.

Also, Google fake windows update screens and then full screen them. Windows is notorious for forcing updates and taking forever to install them. With any luck, your friend will be staring at a perfectly usable computer for hours before realizing. They’re unlikely to want to restart the computer as well, since that(if it were a real update) could corrupt the system/make you restart the install from 0%

• Etterra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I love how it looks like the bus is crowd surfing. Given some of the photos I’ve seen taken in East Asia, I wouldn’t be surprised if one of those existed. And was possibly faster than the actual buses.

• LolaCat@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

This meme reminds me of the one time I accidentally extracted the entirety of Minecraft onto my desktop and basically broke my pc lol.

• RobbieGM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

“Unzip to folder”

Clicks folder

Finds another folder inside