Nothing new for a bargain-bin Leaf however, but a quick read.

• altec@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

For EVs with dying batteries, the new HV pack cost should be factored into the vehicle price, which for a Nissan Leaf would be around $5k.

• towerful@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

It’s the same thing for houses in Scotland (possibly the UK).
      If a home report (ie your commissioned building survey of the property you purchase) turns up defects, these can be negotiated as a reduction against the amount paid.
      I think governments should implement similar laws. A free (or at the manufacturers expense) appraisal WRT battery life, which reduces the sale price by the refurb cost or wear&tear on the batteries.
      If the refurb/wear cost is more than the resale value (essential, the vehicle is “written off”), then the vehicle is taken for scrap value (as if it was ICE).
      The car can then be properly recycled, refurbished, decommissioned, whatever… and sold on

• Hazdaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I hope he turns this into a project car.

Either go crazy and put an ICE into it (like Rich Rebuolds did with his Tesla), or maybe try to see if he could salvage the pack by replacing only some cells.

What I’ve love to see is him turning it into a plug in hybrid. Add some kind of small generator in back and then replace all the electronics. Maybe double the horsepower or something while he’s at it.

• FiveMacs@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Mostly because I don’t trust manufacturs to actually sell parts like the battery after x years. I’d rather go new instead of buying used. No manufacture these days gives me faith in their product after so many years and that’s actually by design.

• popcap200@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

That guy HATES reliable cars. He only buys used gas cars from the late 90s that use Lucas electronics.