That’s a recent quote from Reddit’s VP of community, Laura Nestler. Here’s more of it: This week, Reddit has been telling protesting moderators that if they keep their communities private, the company will take action against them. Any actions could happen as soon as this afternoon.

• ramblechat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I think the growth of Lemmy over the last few weeks is a clear indicator that Reddit is in decline. I have deleted Apollo and my reddit bookmark and have only gone back when a Google search provided the information I needed. I won’t be going back and I think a lot of people are of the same mind.

• Smooth_Riker@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

As a person who really gets stuck in his ways and hates having to change things if I don’t have to, here I am on Lemmy. I’m ready to settle in.

• Saneless@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Joining this was easier since I haven’t been on Reddit since the 12th

Got past the habit stage. Now I’m onto alternatives

• jr1@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m the same! Although I’ve even tried to avoid clicking search links to Reddit as well

• sriracha_no_big_deal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Unfortunately for me, one of my favorite uses for reddit has been live game threads for various sports and that really only works with a larger user base. For instance, I follow the Seattle Mariners and I have found two different Lemmy instances for them. The one with the most subscribers (44) hasn’t had a game thread posted in 13 days despite the Mariners having played like 10 games in that stretch. The other one has 9 subscribers, although it looks like someone has set up a bot to automatically post a game thread and a post-game thread; however, every single one I looked at has 0 comments.

I’m not gonna be able to pull the plug on reddit entirely until Lemmy gets a serious increase in users.

• strawberrysocial@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I miss a lot of my favourite smaller subreddits too. There’s way more now popping up then there was a few weeks ago so it is getting better. It’ll take time for communities to grow, we can’t expect it to be instantly like our fave subreddits were right off the bat. We have to remember that our niche subreddits started small as well at one point. Also consider doing some posting in those slow communities yourself to get the ball rolling. I’ve noticed it takes someone else commenting and providing content before other people feel brave enough to join in too. Kind of like no one wanting to be the first or only person on the dance floor. Once a couple people get in there and begin dancing others join too.

• headie_sage@fanaticus.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Hi! I’m an admin of fanaticus.social. I’d like to apologize for the game bots disappearance. It’s back now! I made pinned a post about it, which you can read here.

We’re working hard to iron out the kinks in the game bots but I apologize for the inconvenience. I was on vacation last week and because of a bug, the choice was between keeping the fanaticus servers up or putting the bots to sleep.

The live game threads were some of my favorite parts of Reddit too. I can’t do anything about the small user base but porting the game bots over to lemmy and posting content is the best way I could think of to start attracting users.

• WhiteTiger@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

What do you propose? Lemmy is significanly more difficult to understand, sign up for, and use, with far less content than Reddit. And the majority opinion seems to be ‘fuck those kids that don’t understand how to use lemmy, we don’t need them’.

• aphonefriend@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I think as more powerful apps are created with simple sign up UIs that auto subscribe to the communities you request etc, and pull content from multiple sources (kbin/Lemmy/mastodon) all on one page… It will become easier for the less technically inclined to join. Just give it time and keep participating here instead of reddit.

• Black Xanthus@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I think it is very much a case of developers building, or expanding apps. It’s easy to forget that many of these apps are in their developments infancy, because so (technically speaking) is the server software.

There will also, inevitably, be an interplay between app developer and server developer. Work arounds producing accepted items that other apps need to include (for those that remember, think text colour codes on IRC, mostly driven by mIRC (short have history, YMMV, etc etc)

Mind you, I’m wondering if all this federation will bring people back to IRC…

• Foam3477@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

A big part of the problem solves itself with a larger userbase. More content generated, more exposure, search engines show lemmy instances in results, people learn. Lemmy is not that hard to undestand. You can join an instance and explore from there, maybe stay within you instance and be satisfied by your experience. Maybe you’ll learn in time about other communities in other instances. When I first joined reddit 10 years ago I didn’t understand it either but I kept using it because it was interesting. What I propose is that we keep making content and commenting and that will attract more people and communities will grow.

• Piers@lemmy.world
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

And the majority opinion seems to be ‘fuck those kids that don’t understand how to use lemmy, we don’t need them’.

I see that too. I suspect that will go away with time. Possibly not very much time tbh. You often see that sort of attitude when a community based around new software is very small and new as culturally it is heavily influenced by people either involved in development or who pride themselves on being early adopters. Neither group is usually very good at understanding the significance of the barriers to entry for most people. Right now we’re seeing an influx of people who couldn’t care in the slightest about poking at new technology, but who are willing to do so because they want to explore a valid alternative to Reddit. That influx will naturally shift the culture and I’m pretty confident that going forward the general vibe will be that accessibility is an important thing (especially as blowing up accessibility for no good reason is at the core of why a lot of the new people are leaving Reddit.)

I disagree that it was harder to sign up for. At least on Lemmy.World (which I’m confident will become the default instance over Lemmy.ml) you just put in a username, email address and password and you’re in.

It does have far less content than Reddit. However, it is largely more active users who create and moderate content who are moving over. It’ll take time but they will grow the communities into places with a lot to offer new users. By the time that happens, it’s likely Reddit will do something to upset and displace their users again and they’ll find growing and thriving communities with increasingly compelling content to greet them. (and hopefully, even if Lemmy hasn’t become much easier to understand by then, the explanations and the guides and all the other “welcome new person” stuff will be more evolved by then.)

• WhiteTiger@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

undefined> I disagree that it was harder to sign up for.

You are correct, and I misspoke. By ‘harder to sign up for’ I was referring to not just the actual sign up process, but the steps involved before the actual sign-up process (deciding on an instance, which itself requires learning what ‘instance’ means, as well as at least some research into what federation is, and what the differences are between instances).

• Piers@lemmy.world
                cake
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

That I can relate to. It definitely slowed me down a little when I was looking at trying Lemmy out. I think with all of those sorts of concerns it is inevitable that there will be better and better support for making the onboarding process as easy as possible as time goes on. What sort of resource do you think would have made getting into Lemmy easiest for you?

• WhiteTiger@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

What I’ve seen others recommend, and I think would have helped, is the ability to ‘port’ to another instance. So it can just be “Go create an account at lemmy.ml. Don’t worry about the instance, we can always port later if you want”.

I know now it doesn’t really matter (and have accounts with all the big instances) but I agonized over what instance to join at the beginning because I didn’t KNOW it didn’t really matter.

The ‘port’ ability also seems like something that is just a good idea in general, so I believe that to be the best option (that I’ve seen).

• bev@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

I started using reddit only an year ago. I’ve tried to use it even earlier, however I didn’t understand how things work. It was after i lurked for a while that i figured out things. And Infinity for Reddit app. Lemmy also is taking the similar time.