Maybe it’s just me but the swiping to up/downvote is incredibly frustrating to use. I find myself accidentally downvoting often. My other issue is that the votes don’t register immediately, so most of the time I can’t tell whether I didn’t swipe far enough or if it didn’t register yet and end up probably swiping 5 times before giving up.

Am I using it wrong? Are there plans to allow for buttons in the future?

Otherwise I am really digging the client. Would like it if the community name was highlighted in a different color when scrolling all too, but otherwise it’s great!

• darklightxi@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Hey! I’m sorry to hear that - I’ll definitely be working on ways to improve the experience for swiping gestures, and I plan to also add in buttons as replacements for those who prefer to do it that way!

There’s some things I can do to maybe help with swiping:

• I can increase the distance between the first and second action, so that you have to be more deliberate if you want to downvote a post or comment
    • I am currently working on making the feedback of the vote to be instantaneous, which will let you know if you’ve performed the action! The actual voting will take some time in the background depending on how fast your instance is (but if something fails, it’ll pop up with a message mentioning that)

Those two points will most likely come with the next release - as for the button actions, that one will hopefully come in a future update! If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to let me know 😄

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

One more thing - the latest update removed the haptic feedback from the swipe gestures by accident. The next update will bring back that haptic feedback!

When you sense a small vibration, that is when you know that the action will be performed if you let go off the screen

• WildlyCanadian@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Buttons to replace the swiping gestures would make the app perfect for me honestly. Getting used to the gestures now, but I like me buttons.

Oh and I keep accidentally closing the app by hitting back when I’m on the search tab or the profile tab. Would be cool if back went to the homepage, and if there was a confirmation message to close the app like in RIF. There’s probably more important stuff to work on though so I’ll be patient and watch the progress :)

Cycled through a bunch of Lemmy apps before settling on this one. Great work! Particularly love the Material You integration so the app matches the rest of my Pixel nicely :)

• Cubes@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s something I can probably get used to, but I think the things you’ve lined out would make a lot smoother for me to use. I do get some occasional accidental swipes too, so maybe increasing the distance or the threshold for what counts as a “swipe” might reel a bit better. Like I said, I do love the app so far and intend to keep using it! Keep up the good work!

• Mewtwo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thank you! I’m really loving Thunder and it’s become my favorite app. I really love the swipe feature but tend to downvote on accident. Connect has the swipe go from upvote>save>reply, can you implement something like upvote>reply>save and make down vote a click? Or maybe down the line we can create our own swipe order? Also, the spacing for swiping on Connect is more ideal.

I know that Lemmy is having an issue with registering votes, but is there a reason why some of my upvotes are blue/red?

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Thanks for the feedback! I do eventually want to make it so that you can customize the actions of the swipe gestures, but I have not gotten to that yet 😅

Which version of Thunder are you currently on? In v0.2.1+10, I’ve increased the distance needed in order to trigger the primary (upvote, reply) and secondary (downvote, save) actions, so you have to be more deliberate with it to trigger it. I’m not too sure what the swipe spacing is like on Connect, so if you could let me know that would be awesome!

The colours that you see in the screenshot indicates whether youve upvoted (red/orange) or downvoted (blue)

I hope that clears some things up!

• Mewtwo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

The latest version is great! There is a slight delay for the upvote to register, where the post dims, before I can swipe the next post, but that seems common across the apps so it’s likely Lemmy.

• strongarm@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

With tweaking, like changing the distance for each action, the swiping will be better for sure.

Please bear in mind some users have phones without any buttons, for example I have to swipe from the edges of the screen to go back, this can sometimes interfere with the swipe actions.

I would also like to longpress actions being added, I find myself instinctively doing this when I want to reply, only to find there isn’t an option.

• SeaJaye@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Personally, I absolutely ADORE the swiping.

If you hold, you can control the swipe action more clearly. I hope that helps.

But the delay is most likely the kinks we have to work through while they build this app. I know it can get frustrating some times, but this is an app that is currently in development. Telling myself that helps tremendously with my patience using it.

Though, I have not had too much trouble that has severely tested my patience as of yet.

• Franklin's Beard@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Me personally, the only swiping I want to use is to simply go to the previous page I was on. I really don’t like swipe gestures on comments and posts

• Barns@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Totally agree it’s frustrating and I’ve pretty much stopped using it. I think a better implementation would have been for swipes to have only one option and toggle between states. For example swiping right would go upvote > downvote > no vote