The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter

• First published June 21, 2012
  • 336 pages

On Sale At:

Synopsis

1916: the Western Front. Private Percy Blakeney wakes up. He is lying on fresh spring grass. He can hear birdsong and the wind in the leaves in the trees. Where have the mud, blood and blasted landscape of No Man’s Land gone?

2015: Madison, Wisconsin. Cop Monica Jansson is exploring the burned-out home of a reclusive - some said mad, others dangerous - scientist when she finds a curious gadget - a box containing some wiring, a three-way switch and a… potato. It is the prototype of an invention that will change the way Mankind views his world forever.

And that is an understatement if ever there was one…

• Lichtblitz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The series starts off really strong but by the time long Mars comes around, it’s become mediocre and feed off the previous hype. I was heartbroken.

• RQG@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I loved reading this series but man, those synopsises don’t do it justice even a little bit.

It’s a science fiction series about the struggles of a post scarcity world thanks to suddenly available inter dimensional travel. It’s about the adventure of people exploring new worlds of the multiverse. It has one of the most realistic depictions of true AI I have ever seen. There is an apocalyptic threat. And all that containing Pratchett’s sharp wit and understanding of how out society works.