• Hyperreality@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

A few years ago I bought a xiaomi fitness tracker for 30 euros. Used every day until I got bored of it. Left it in a drawer for a year, tried it recently, still works just fine.

Not that I’d necessarily recommend getting one, but if the battery on yours is already dead, I agree that is suspiscious. Sounds like it’s by design.

• TwanHE@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Those xioami fitbands are great for the price, if you want basic tracking without needing your phone or just want a really cheap smartwatch that can control music or your cameras shutter.

But their battery also doesn’t last more than 2 years if you charge it every 3 days. At least the 2 and the 4 died within 2 years for me.

• anguo@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

3 days? I’ve owned the Mi band 1, 2 & 4 (still on my wrist), and only need to charge it once every 20+ days. The only reason I upgraded from the 2nd one was that the LCD was starting to be too dim. Granted, I turn off every tracking feature that I can.

• TwanHE@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I did use the heart rate monitoring and sleep tracking features. Without those they indeed last a few weeks.

• anguo@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

Yes, I realize that my use case might not be the norm. I just dream of a smartwatch that just gives me the time and proper notifications, without the added cost and bulk of all the tracking features.

Edit: I was just surprised that the battery duration difference would be so drastic.

• TwanHE@lemmy.world
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

The heart rate function is the most battery draining of all. You can change the frequency of it to make it less taxing.