• Lung@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I found it hard to understand what this is. Overall summary, it’s using new Linux kernel features to make Docker style containers way more efficient

It allows you to compose a bunch of filesystems into one layered stack of read only, at a mount point. It also shares memory between such filesystems and allows layers to be mounted in multiple places

For those familiar with how container images are built, this should make things a faster compared to the overlayfs techniques before. It also enables some kind of new hyper containerized software packages, but I’m not sure if that’s a big deal. Something like how osx mounts a risk image for install or use

• Dandroid@dandroid.app
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I sat in a meeting at work for 2 hours while experts on composefs explained what it is, how it works, and how it would benefit our product. This was coming from another team that already made the switch for their product.

I still have no fucking idea what it is.

• TCB13@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Stacks have a performance hit, Docker is also introducing a bunch of experimental features to merge things and whatnot. I just don’t get the entire logic tho.