The landed gentry are only in charge until the king comes to town and chops off a few heads. At least that seems to be the case at Reddit, where CEO Steve Huffman pretended his complaints about current moderators — who were protesting his decision to effectively cut off API access to tons of useful…

• bkmps3@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yeh I’m in the same boat. The day the internal memo came out about how everything will blow over, I deleted Apollo. I haven’t been back to reddit since and after the first week, I don’t even miss it now.

I wish lemmy was a bit busier, but outside of that the general atmosphere and quality here is better. Even if everything was reversed and Spez was booted, I won’t return now.

• ThinlySlicedGlizzy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Just wait till the third party apps shut down tomorrow, loads of people will be rolling in here. Then when the RIF and Sync developers release their Lemmy apps (with the same names) even more people will come. If you want there to be content right now though just keep contributing to posts you see. The more content we make right now, the more likely it is for new users to stay,

• WideEyedStupid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I can’t wait for Slide for Lemmy. Always loved that app!

But it’s awesome to see so many developers already working on stuff for Lemmy. It’s simply bonkers to me that reddit looked at all these people who created so much for them and basically told them to go fuck themselves.

• bobbysq@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

As far as I know, talklittle is focused on making a Tildes app called Three Cheers for now, and had been working it even before the announcement from Reddit. As much as it would be nice to have a Lemmy successor to RIF, the closest we’ll probably get any time soon is an app that’s just inspired by the RIF design.

• Pregnenolone@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

While I want to it be a little bit busier, I’m pleased that we’re not at the low-effort comment point e.g. every other comment being a pun or a shitpost or “this”

• Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Actually, I like the small community vibe of Lemmy. It’s the dead sub vibe I have a problem with. There are lots of really interesting communities, but you don’t see people posting anything yet.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I like a lot of the tiny vibe but I miss girl Reddit. It was such a unique social media atmosphere and I haven’t managed to find it here. I hope more of the women from Reddit come here

• Ryumast3r@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Took a long time for that to become a thing.

It’ll come here though for sure. I think most people are trying to filter into whatever communities exist right now to get a feel of how federation works but once everyone has a decent idea I think you’ll see an explosion of communities.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Yeah that’s where I am. Also its important to remember that the apps are nice but very beta, and what we have now are early adopters. Like part of why I’m here is that I oppose the increasing corporatization of the internet enough to sacrifice a better experience for it. We need the people who care but not that much so we can get the people who don’t care but think this is a better space.

It’s a long and slow process and if lemmy gains steam like we hope the real competition may start pushing centralized communities to quit their bullshit.

I was talking to my wife about me joining here and she pointed out that Lemmy really is the best use case for the fediverse. Forums were hard to centralize unlike Microblogging and other more social media-y social media. It’s less individual user dependent of a format

• rookie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I miss GirlGamers, honestly. It was such a refreshing perspective compared to the constantly angry/circlejerky dudebro vibe of 90% of gaming communities

• Evrala@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s the one area that’s missing for me as well, there is a general lesbian community that was just started yesterday, sapphics on lemmy.world, yesterday I found it and was like “neat! I need to post to help this grow, errrr… what do I post?”

• Buckeye@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

My girl subreddits are my big miss too. Even my silly pop culture ones. Actually especially those.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Are you looking for more girly communities? Maybe consider starting one if you can’t find what you’re looking for.

• ඞmir@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Using this to plug my community !league@lemmy.ml for League of Legends stuff. Trying to make it a bit more popular but it seems like there’s only one other person posting so far

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Keep on posting. As long as there’s something, other people won’t think it’s completely dead. Eventually others will start posting too.

• PoppinKREAM@sh.itjust.works
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I was apprehensive of moving over to Lemmy, but I’m starting to get the feel of the fediverse and finally made the switch over.

I think the community can grow over time. It honestly feels like early Reddit, I’m quite enjoying Lemmy!