• TheFriendlyArtificer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

First comment. Looking forward to the new(ish) community full of familiar faces.

I have a weird request to the other Redfugees: I had considered going through and nuking my entire post history for all of my accounts. But then I realized that a lot of the advice that I’ve given on /linux and /python would be lost. I’m not a master at either, but I like to think that I’ve helped people out.

So before deleting everything as a (justified!) middle finger to a terrible CEO, take into account that what you’ve written is a part of a tapestry of internet history. 99.99% is trite. But you never know what future generations will find interesting or useful.

Just my $0.02.

• RealThunderhop@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I already nuked mine, and it was loads of tutorials/helpful comments. That was the most tangible way I could f them over. I also deleted images on other sites that explained things so that even if they restore my comments and posts like they have been doing (5 times so far) nothing of value will be gained. They fucked around, and hopefully they are gonna find out.

• Juliie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Get the gdpr request or some reddit backup program and sit on them for now. I hope some solution surfaces where ppl can plug their reddit history content into a 3d party archive.

• lorcster123@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thats the reason I am hesitating on deleting all my stuff.

Some of the tips I have given for tech support for stuff over the years, while pretty much only has been useful to a small number of people, will no longer be accessible. Anyone googling in the future or trawling through reddit threads trying to find an answer will be met by my answer and a guy replying “Thanks! That worked” but my comment would be deleted.

I know that would suck and would affect other users so im not sure I want to do it. Even if it meant helping one person