FCC details plan to restore the net neutrality rules repealed by Ajit Pai::Democrats finally have 3-2 majority needed to regulate ISPs as common carriers.

• 5BC2E7@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Why did this not happen earlier? It seems there is some intentional delay for political purposes.

• chuckleslord@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The 5th member was only just appointed earlier this month. So, they only just now have a majority. At least, that’s my understanding.

• evatronic@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Confirmed by the Senate. Republicans have been holding up the confirmation for quite some time. Biden nominated Anna Gomez in March of this year (link) and she was only confirmed by the Senate in early September.

• ZeroCool@feddit.ch
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Republicans actively working against the interests of the American people. Typical.

• zephyreks@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Isn’t it also an indication that the current government is unwilling to compromise? It’s not like the government not controlling the house is a new issue, but the lack of progress as a result of it seems to indicate that neither side is willing to make progress towards a shared middle ground.

• zainitopia@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Forgive me but, it honestly feels like you haven’t been paying enough attention to US politics if that’s how you feel

• zephyreks@programming.dev
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

That’s literally the role of the government, though.

US politics is basically neither side compromising on the basis of ideology and saying it’s the other side’s fault.

That’s a far more condemnable position when you’re the actual government than when you’re the opposition.

• militaryintelligence@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              9 months ago

Seems like they’re more interested in targeting LGBTQ people at the moment. They think about them a lot. A disturbing amount. Does that mean they’re … I mean, do they fantasize… nah can’t be

• 5BC2E7@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Thanks. The latest delays seem to be intentional from the republicans. But march 2023 seems like far too long since January 2021. Does anyone know what happened in 2021 and 2022? I would not be surprised if it’s because of republicans again but I don’t know.

• 5BC2E7@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

Yea i looked it up and it does seem like they have been trying to make this happen all this time.