According to https://gui.fediseer.com/instances/detail/lemmy.world

Reached out through Lemmy and Mastodon. No reply from the admin. Last activity from the admin was 2 months ago. Instance is also running an older version of Lemmy.

I assume they are defederating as a precaution, but as the largest instance they have essentially cut us off from a lot of content.

@jonah@lemmy.one are you still around and are you able to reply to them please?

• 𝒍𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒏@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

That’s disapponting, but understandable. It is a lot of content that we’ve been cut off from…

I’m happy to volunteer my time if Jonah is interested in expanding the lemmy.one team, would prefer we avoid things like this happening in future

• haych@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Damn, time to switch to a new instance I guess. I liked the setup of this one.

Maybe it’s time to host my own.

• NightOwl@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

So what is a good instance that is federated to lemmy.world and beehaw and other popular instances? Liked lemmy.one since it was connected to instances that were defederated from each other.

• ijeff@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Lemdro.id remains federated with them. Otherwise, you can check an instance’s federation/defederation list via instance.url/instances.

• pimento64@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’ve been really happy with Sopuli, they have a narrow but essential blocked instances list and high uptime.

• LinkOpensChest.wav@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Hi, I’ve liked what I’ve seen of Sopuli. Does it also disable downvotes? That’s one thing I really like for my own sanity.

• bug@lemmy.oneOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Seems like it’s often quite flakey, for instance I can’t access it at the moment

• boyi@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

Yes, true. they might be in the middle of updating the server of something. Usually it should be okay. That’s my main instance by the way.

Anyway why do I suggest it? SDF has a long history of maintaining public access Unix usenet/bbs server, since the 80’s. So they have a long track record of maintaining public server. For them to simply abandoning server hosted by them would be unheard of.

They also have diverge userbase, liberal and geeky. I simply can’t imagine any lemmy instance will defederate from them. That will be brazen, simply say.

• bug@lemmy.oneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

If there’s no captain at the helm then eventually this ship will run aground. We don’t need to immediately jump ship, but signing up with another crew might be necessary.

• Jordan Lund@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I was wondering what had happened, seemed like things got super quiet. Flipped over to my lemmy.world account and it was back to normal.

• Sentau@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I still don’t understand the defederation. Yes we are using an older version of lemmy but unless federating to different versions causes some bugs or issues, what is their rationale¿? Signings are closed for lemmy.one(and always were) so it’s not like random people will join lemmy.one and start spamming the lemmy.world instance beacuse Jonah is not active.

Edit : I just checked up and they are still federated with many other instances running on older version of lemmy so I don’t think that is the issue.

• bug@lemmy.oneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I reckon it’s the lack of an (active) admin. They had issues with spam and worse from other instances, so I assume they just don’t want to connect to any instance which doesn’t have an admin who would be able to immediately stop it. It’s a real shame for smaller instances like us, but it does kind of make sense for them.

• Sentau@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

But that’s exactly my point. Sign-ups to lemmy.one were always closed so you needed approval from the admin(Jonah) to create an account on the instance. Now since Jonah is not actively involved, nobody can join lemmy.one because he is not approving their accounts anymore. So no new person can join the instance.

As for the users already using a lemmy.one account, they have been using the fediverse peacefully without spamming anybody, even during the past 2 months when jonah was not actively moderating. In fact this seems to be one of the best behaved instances. Now maybe there is a sleeper agent among us lemmy.one users who was waiting for Jonah to become inactive before starting their spamming activities but somehow I seriously doubt that.

Considering the points I laid out above, I feel that the defederation was an unnecessary action taken by the lemmy.world admins. The risk of spam is very miniscule and this small risk does not call for the use a nuclear option like defederation.

• TehPers@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Not a user of lemmy.one, but user accounts can also be compromised, and if your instance has no active admins, can something be done in that scenario? I wouldn’t be surprised if they defederated preemptively to be safe.

• Sentau@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

This seems like a very valid concern. Though it does seem a little extreme. Who is this person who hates lemmy.world or lemmy in general so much that he or she is hacking into someone’s account just to post disgusting stuff to the platform.

• Sentau@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I found no post or comment by the lemmy.world admins regarding defederation from us. How can they defederate from a decently big instance like us and not even inform their users about it. Could it be that they accidentally defederated from us

• LinkOpensChest.wav@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

No, because if you check OP’s link, .world actually gave a reason:

Reached out through Lemmy and Mastodon. No reply from the admin. Last activity from the admin was 2 months ago. Instance is also running an older version of Lemmy.

• Sentau@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I dont think there is cause for concern. He was posting on mastadon a few days ago and was uploading videos on his youtube channel 2 weeks ago. I just think he is busy and cant make any time for lemmy. Hopefully he takes a little time to make some other people admins to keep lemmy.one functioning

• Sentau@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

From what i gather, hesitations section in fediseer is just for the admins to list instances of concern rather than a list of instances they have defederated from(because if you see the list of instances they have actually defederated from at https://lemmy.world/instances, the numbers dont match). I would still expect them to make a post about defeding from a moderately big instance. They did it when they defederated from feddit.nl (which has less users than us)

• ShustOne@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Still thinking about this. It’s really disheartening this can just happen. It’s like I have to start all over again. As much as I hate Reddit these days I wouldn’t have to worry about that there.