Recently discovered a search engine thanks another social network (Pjuu). Appears as a premium search engine that take cares privacy. Anyone knows it? I’m trying the free version

• Vexz@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Why? You can completely ignore that. Just use the search engine and ignore the rest. I’m really happy with the search results.

• jmp242@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Well, because I tend to find crypto full of scams, and I think search engine that both blasts crypto in your face and is apparently based on it is likely to be built on a shaky foundation. I think decentralized search is likely to be slower, and very slow if based on waiting for crypto processing to happen.

To me, this is like walking up to a car wash that’s proudly saying “run by Madoff”. It doesn’t matter how good the car wash itself is, I am concerned about it’s long term viability and judgement vs getting funding from almost any other source.

Distributed is also very likely less private because you have to send the data to multiple places, or you have the issue of waiting for consistency across front ends. If it doesn’t have multiple servers, then it’s the backend that has to be distributed right?

Look, it might be a fine search, but if you doubt Kagi for needing an account, I would doubt this for the crypto association.

• Vexz@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s fine but I wouldn’t judge if I had never tested it for a while. But whether you wanna give that search engine a chance or not is completely up to you ofc. :)

If you wanna know how it respects its user’s privacy you need to do some research as it’s a little complex. I don’t see where you get scammed just by using the search engine. It’s like you’re saying you got scammed by a car seller once so you’ll never make any other attempt to buy a car ever again.

In the meantime I got to understand why Kagi needs an account: It’s their business model. You have to pay to make searches that exceed the free 100 searches. So of course you need an account.

• jmp242@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

It’s more that I got scammed once buying a car at the side of the road not realizeing it was fly by night, so now I won’t buy cars except from established dealers. Idk I saw the part where they said buy some new crypto coin, and then the bit where it works because someone is buying this coin so they can pay some people running the search. YMMV, I just pass on anything that talks about crypto at this point.