• minimar@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That one article that coined the term ‘enshittification’ and made me realise centralised, for-profit social media will always turn garbage after awhile. I’m tired of changing sites every few years. Time to use something that’ll stay good this time.

• skiba@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I left Reddit because I gave them so many years of dedication (and $ via Reddit premium), not even considering the fact I bought coins on multiple accounts.

1. Reddit became way too focused on Karma. Karma is great in concept, but more than half of the users are only posting for internet points at this point. It takes away from the validity of posts imo. How many “I stopped drinking for 30 days!” posts did you see on there with like 70k upvotes and thousands of karma?

2. The amount of not genuine posts is alarming. People have become addicted to the upvote/downvote system moreso than boomers on Facebook have become attached to their pages.

3. The amount of hate speech, misinformation and blatant lies the site actively promotes is insane.

4. They literally made everyone NFT wallets…???

5. NFT wallets?? Why the fuck was this ever approved? Oh yeah, more $, and something else for Spez to add to his IPO rubbish. Hey look at us we have some NFTs too type beat.

6. The userbase is pretty shit and Spez has even admitted to not caring about the people who made his site what it is.

Why would anyone ever stay on a site where the literal CEO says he doesn’t need nor care about you?

• minorsecond@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was on the fence about it until the Spez AMA. Then, I decided I’d be leaving on the 30th.

Then, I had a user call me “fucking stupid” for supporting a sub shutting down, and that was the final straw for me. I had seen how friendly people on Lemmy are and this showed me how toxic Reddit is by comparison. So I immediately nuked all my comments & posts and deleted my account. This was around two weeks ago and I’ve been much happier here.

• whitewalker_646@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

In that AMA I discovered a subreddit literally named friends of spez they were going around that ama and raining people with legitimate criticisms with downvotes although most of the other redditors tipped the scales fairly quickly they were also throwing reports on these users as well and of course they weren’t banned because they’re friends with spez

• Lucz1848@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Reddit, like Digg before it, was a gathering place, where people could post or consume content, and interact with other users. It was much like a town square, where people can set up their soapbox and bark, or where a person could go and listen, interact, and enjoy.

Reddit is now like the Home Owners Association for that particular town square, and are actively trying to control the entire experience, by acting like they own the soapboxes, and as though the barkers are now obligated to ensure that content is HOA approved.

That kind of neighborhood holds no appeal for me.

• ekZepp@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Honestly I was using reddit app on all my devices, but I kinda despise big ass tech companies who think they are too big to fail no matter what they do…

So, here I am.

• LynneOfFlowers@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

When I first learned that Reddit would be pricing out third-party apps I was angry and upset, but I still entertained the notion of maybe continuing to use old.reddit on the desktop (until they inevitably killed that). I like many of the communities there and didn’t want to give them up.

But then came the AMA and the leaked memo and the crushing of the protests with threats and strongarm tactics. Everything spez wrote dripped with contempt for the community and the moderators that had made the site what it was through their unpaid labor. The message became clear: “Let the little users cry it out. They’ll have their little tantrum and then they’ll settle down and accept that the reality is that we can do anything we want to them and they have to just accept it. Their communities, their conversations, their culture, it all belongs to us, not to them. We have everything and they have nothing”.

I’m not going back to that.

• Tuck_The_Faliban@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Literally. Reddit users are both content producers and consumers. They are also (unpaid) moderators and developers who made the website usable on Android and iOS devices. In short, Reddit is (was) its users, and spez and Ellen Pao contributed nothing. He deserves to watch his baby (which wasn’t even his idea in the first place) de a fiery death.

Give it a few months of reddit users seeking an alternative and Reddit will follow in Twitter’s footsteps: 50% of the content will just be robots talking to each other.

• Merriwinter@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It left such a bad taste in my mouth realizing that they were absolutely just going to let people get their rage out, and then rely on the good ole human nature of just going with the flow. I mean realistically, once you have the momentum of a site like Reddit, you can do some pretty shitty stuff, and not get canned for it. I’m fairly certain they’re just going to rely on that, and then make money on what’s left after that.

I’ll probably still keep using old.reddit.com, but making an account on Lemmy has like 0 opportunity cost, so why not right?

• applejacks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

main reason is the app changes of course, but I’ve been getting sick of the site for quite awhile.

powermods that run hundreds of subreddits abusing their authority, everyone is snarky and rude, only approved stances are allowed and anything deviating from them get dogpiled/censored, the annoying redditisms (edit: Thank you kind stranger! Wow I didn’t expect this to blow up! obvious fake stories in AITA/Relationships, etc).

the entire site was just getting really stale.

the upside was that it had an active forum for almost every niche interest, but that’s also a negative as it really killed many of the small special interest communities.

• Boozilla@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

You summarized my experience / feelings on the matter perfectly.

A few of the reddit mods were so obnoxious, they would ban you for posting to other subs they didn’t like. Even if you had never been to their stupid sub or cared about it, you would get a random ban notification from some wacky niche sub.

On the one hand: who cares. But on the other hand: it doesn’t feel like a very welcoming place when you check the site for the first time that day and some weirdo has banned you “because reasons”.

I even saw one mod that would stalk individual users and mock them for getting banned from his precious sub. It was so absurd.

As for the typical users of reddit: I know it’s a tired cliché…but it really was like a “hive mind” over there.

It also has a horrible new user experience. To get some basic level of karma you have to jump through hoops. The whole thing feels like a nasty reindeer game.

I’m really glad lemmy doesn’t have karma.

• applejacks@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

yea, I regularly deleted my account and made a new one.

each time, I would create my account.

have zero karma, start commenting to get karma, and all my comments were removed because I didn’t have enough karma lmao

• Scooter411@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Oh boy, you get an updoot for that!

Any time someone says upvote but replaces vote with anything I downdoot them.

• Scooter411@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

You’re still replacing the word “vote” with something. It’s all annoying to me and my visceral reaction is to downvote. Petty and not something important, I know.

• MrBubbles96@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Honestly, mostly solidarity.

Sure, the fact that my preferred Reddit app was going the way of the dodo and the fact that they weren’t even trying to negotiate in good faith were reasons, yeah, but at the end of the day, I was just gonna grit my teeth, patch the Reddit app with Revanced, and have that be my personal and insignificant F you.

Then I realized a bigger F you was to deprive them of content, future or present, (mine, specifically. As insignificant as it was) so I did.

And here I am

• C0rkedchimp@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Honestly same! There’s no particular reason for me other than solidarity

Like, sure, some communities were getting better or worse, but that’s wasn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and honestly due to Reddit’s age it was bound to lose it’s spark. Change is inevitable, so I jumped shit early

• writeblankspace@geddit.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Because apparently Lemmy was blowing up. I really support FOSS, but the only reason I don’t migrate right away is the lack of activity. And then Reddit just became unbearable all of a sudden, then there’s the surge of new Lemmy users. I’m finally happy to join.-

• Bulletdust@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Put simply, I’m tired of being the product, and it’s obvious that Reddit wanted to implement more data harvesting and more advertising to their platform. Couple that with the outrageous cost to use their API, and it’s bye, bye Reddit.

• Navarian@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I choose this reason also ^ It’s close enough to my own.

Obligatory Fuck Spez.

• Balthazar@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s why I’m moving on fully now as well. The official app is the worst garbage pile app I’ve seen in a while. Only apps woede are the low-efdort moneygrabs. That and loosing boost is why I’ll probably not be seen on Reddit for a WHILE.