If you had the choice to keep autism spectrum disorder or remove it completely which would you choose? This would change who you are so I have another question that adds on, let’s say this is a reversible method would you see the difference?

• Duskwander@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I think the premise is flawed. There is no non autistic version of myself especially as it’s a developmental disorder. So I couldn’t be allistic so much as I could be killed and and replaced with an allistic double. Similarly there’s no reversible procedure. Or at the very least memories formed by the allistic self would be recalled by and processed by my autistic brain so it would be akin to going into a coma and reading a story about this other person who lived in my skin while I was out. I suppose the real trick to make the question worked would be some sort of duality which I think you can tell I don’t believe in.

Cool thought experiment though. Helped me clarify my thinking, which is appreciated.

• xophos
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I was going to write something very similar but you phrased it much better than I could have.