• jarfil@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Representative democracy with voting rights for all citizens over the age of majority might be the best system we’ve tried

Where? Closest thing I see is a “Rule of representatives elected by representatives elected by less than half the citizens over the age of majority” thing.

• CapitalismsRefugee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I believe that’s the point being made. “Representative Democracy”, or at least the pretense of which some live under at this time, is the best we (“we” referring to a particular group of people, not humanity as a sum) have found so far.

• jarfil@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I get the point. My point is that we’re still far from trying an actual “Representative Democracy” for any largish group of people, and that the Democracy of ancient Greece, with all its glaring flaws, was more Democratic than anything we have right now.

• jarfil@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

As opposed to FPTP, gerrymandering, multi-layer representative cutoffs, regional vote weight balancing, or the D’Hondt method?

What’s your basis to think that?

• jarfil@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

I’m not USA-n either, so only most of those apply to the flavor of “democracy” I get. It’s still a good exercise to know about the options.

• jarfil@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Indeed. I highly encourage everyone to learn about how “democratic” they actually are.

• jarfil@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

Sure:

Indeed.

Expression of agreement with the previous comment.

I highly encourage everyone to learn…

My wish is to improve the knowledge of the reader and anyone else…

…about how “democratic” they actually are.

…about the different political systems which get called “democracies” by different countries around the world, and how their practical applications differ from the idealized concept of “democracy”.