• Quatity_Control@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Do you think more air will protect more chips? Do you not think there is a point where too much air allows the chips to move around too much in transport and thus you get more broken chips? A point of diminishing returns?

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Do you think more air will protect more chips?

Yes

Do you not think there is a point where too much air allows the chips to move around too much in transport and thus you get more broken chips?

No

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

You got a source that more air breaks chips? Cause that’s an absurd claim.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

I’ve almost certainly studied far more science including physics than you have, so don’t pull that shit on me.

The amount of space you would need for the ships to gain enough speed to break into each other because there is enough air for them to move freely would be pretty damn big. Maybe if family size bags were the size of a large shopping cart your hypothesis might hold water, but chip bags just aren’t big enough for that to be a problem.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

It’s not the size of the space that enables the chips to move at speed. So no, I don’t believe you have studied any science. Watching sci fi movies doesn’t count.

Here’s a practical example for you to try. Make sure you get your parent’s permission!

Take a sandwich bag and put ten corn chips in it. Remove as much air as you can and seal it. Now, shake vigorously. You’ll find that the chips are held almost motionless by the plastic and thus do not break.

Now add a little air to the bag. The chips can now move. As you shake the bag back and forth, they collide, rotate in the allowed space, reposition inside the bag. You’ll get a few broken chips.

Now add heaps of air to the bag. When you shake vigorously, the chips all move in different directions, pin wheeling, bouncing off the bag surface, rebounding into each other, rotating inside the bag to present their crisp faces to the hardend edges of other fast moving chips. You’ll notice that it’s not the moving of the bag that damages the chips. It’s the sharp and abrupt change in inertia. The extra air allows the chips more space to orient in dangerous ways before the change in inertia smashes all the chips together at one end of the bag.

Now that you’ve done the fun practical part of the lesson today, I’ll follow it up with a simple thought experiment. What brands do you think have more broken chips in them?

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  9 months ago

The brand with the most broken chips is Tostitos, which packs their chips with very little air. And they’re usually really broken.

Doritos in my experience is the second worst for broken chips, and they too also use very little air, just a bit more than Tostitos.

The brand I find with the fewest broken chips is Lays, with lots of air.

Wonder why do you?

Try this experiment. Instead of just shaking your chip bags vigorously (something that is highly unlikely to happen in real life). Put your chips in a box full of tons of other bags of chips, and toss those boxes around a warehouse. You will find the bags with less air will generally have more broken chips.

Now stop being a condescending cunt, it’s rather unbecoming of you.

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    9 months ago

Unfortunately, you’ve missed the point of my experiment, re earning my condescension. I’m demonstrating the terrible effect of air as a cushion against force. I’m not replicating shipping at all.

It’s also quite revealing that the brands you named are substantially different in manufacturing process, resulting chips with significant difference in tensile strength and edge thickness. Those figures are far more relevant to broken chips than air.

So here’s your next training course in chip packaging. Take ten chips and drop them onto various surfaces from waist height. Drop them vertically and horizontally. Then put individual chips on bags with varying amounts of air and replicate. Then multiple chips. Have your parents help you write up the results and share with all your {online} friends!