• Quatity_Control@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

No one in the history of civilisation has complained about too many broken chips in a bag.

When people started complaining about the amount of air being included in the bag, “prevents broken chips” was the bs marketing PR line put out. It’s just not true.

You know the easiest way to prove it’s bs? Pringle’s have introduced more air into their cans at the same time. Why? To match the shrinkflation of their competitors. Because adding air to a can of Pringle’s can only result in MORE broken chips. Which, again, no one in the fucking world has ever complained about.

• _danny@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

I am absolutely sad when I get a bag of broken chips. And it definitely works you can test it yourself with some ziplock bags. There most likely is some shrinkflation hidden in that air, but the majority of it probably is playing an important part for people like me who love their chips but hate the crumbs.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

There is definitively a point of diminishing returns. Half a bag of air just allows the chips to smash into each other and break. Only enough air to prevent outside forces compressing the chips is fine.

I’m not going to bother to find out when and how often these bags of completely crumbed chips made you sad in your life. They would no doubt be negligible and more related to transport issues than packaging issues.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Pretty much every bag of chips I’ve opened has had enough broken chips for me to be annoyed.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

That’s more about the 20% of my chips being broken due to bags with too little air.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

Do you think more air will protect more chips? Do you not think there is a point where too much air allows the chips to move around too much in transport and thus you get more broken chips? A point of diminishing returns?

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              9 months ago

Absolutely do. At least once a week. Was there a point you were trying to make or was it an attempt to gatekeep corn chips?

• spauldo@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

OK, first off - gatekeep corn chips? You need to get off the internet more often.

Second, you enjoy nachos made of tortilla crumbs?

• tehmics@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Yes but it’s far more than necessary to protect the chips. Bag sizes are inflated for the psychology not the practicality

• tehmics@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago
          1. The nitrogen is to keep them from going stale in oxygen. The amount of nitrogen across various chip manufacturers ranges from 19% gas all the way to 59%. That discrepancy range is where the psychology comes into play.

2. The gas is partially pack fill to keep them from getting crushed, obviously. My whole point was that it is significantly more gas than necessary for pack fill.

Fact is if you make the package look bigger, people think there’s more. There’s a reason we have laws about unnecessary slack fill. Nice try though, Dwight

• PM_ME_FEET_PICS@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Various studies have went into this type of packaging. The amount of gas used is optimal to ensure freshness and keep the chips from crumbling.

• tehmics@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

If that were the case there wouldn’t be such a massive variance in the amount used. I’d love to see these studies though since so many seem to exist

• MudMan@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

I recently saw a local brand of chips with the tagline “less air, more chips”, and hey, there it is, capitalism at work. Competition happening.

Then I remembered that PepsiCo owns Frito-Lay and they are a huge conglomerate, so it doesn’t matter what it says on the bag. And hey, there it is, capitalism also.

• Baron Von J@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

It’s so you can enjoy more of the water in complete cubes rather than broken up into little shavings.