• ryannathans@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Majority of the resources are going to squadron 42, star citizen has NOT been the main focus. Can “journalists” get anything right?

Sq42 has reached a pivotal development milestone and developers will shortly be moving focus to star citizen, integrating the modules built for sq42

600M for an mmo that pushes the boundaries of technology and a goregous singleplayer game is not insane.

• psudo@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I believed that like 5 years ago, when S42 was “releasing next year!” Wish I could get my money back.

• David From Space@orbiting.observer
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

So uh, what are the story beats of Squadron 42, exactly? And what kind of release date does it have? And say, what exactly, are the features it offers? Because it’s been in development for 10 years now, and literally all I’ve ever heard is ‘It’ll be good, trust us!’, and yet I’ve seen less gameplay from it then Star Marine.

• ryannathans@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

You can access the development blog, roadmap and newsletter on the site. Your refusal to read does not discount the effort that has gone into building it

• Telorand@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

🎶 This is the road map that never ends

Yes it goes on and on my friends

Some people started reading it not knowing what it was

And they’ll continue reading it forever, just because

This is the roadmap that never ends… 🎶

• percentSValue@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Let’s not forget squadron 42 wasn’t even a part of the original kickstarter. Just continual scope creep.

• Telorand@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

That, and from what I’ve read elsewhere, the main dev is a self-important narcissist who doesn’t like other people touching his code. If he’d ask for competent help and loosen that iron grip, he’d probably finish it before he dies of old age.

• averyminya@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

While I’ve heard the same for posterity in a different comment of mine, they also have a team of 1.1k developers. So it seems like it’s almost more of a management issue

• northendtrooper@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m not a CIG white knight by any means. Infact I’m very open on the piss poor upper management and very shady marketing practices. But with that said a lot of people just don’t realize that CIG is building 4 games, 3 single player (sq42) and one multiplayer. All under a billion and creating new technologies and art assets along the way. Compare to the rumor of GTA VI being over double in cost.

• dragna@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

I think it’s important to remember that this was pitched as a single game originally. It was announced the year Mass Effect 3 came out. Comparing it to anything else is honestly pointless. Rockstar is building a game off its success and profits of GTA V. This is a ten year saga of broken promises and scope creep so astounding that people are saying they’re building four games when they’ve yet to prove they could deliver one. That’s just wild.

• ursakhiin@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

It’s also important to mention that the community was polled before the pivot to multiple games and increasing scope creep. The backer community itself said to keep adding features.

• Telorand@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

The backer community itself said to keep adding features.

A prime example of FOMO and sunk cost fallacy at work.

• ursakhiin@beehaw.org
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

That poll was very early on. Like 2014 or so.

It’s not like this was hundreds of millions of dollars later. The community just wants it to be the best game it can be.

• Telorand@reddthat.com
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                9 months ago

I mean, who would say, “You know what? This thing I bought into—I want it to be dog shit.”

I get that people want their money to have been used well, but I would bet money we’ll see a completed Starfield II before Star Citizen launches its first beta.

• ursakhiin@beehaw.org
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

I’m largely wondering what you’re basing your opinion on. It seems, like many detractors, you’re just hating to hate.

• Telorand@reddthat.com
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    9 months ago

I’m basing my opinion on the fact that the development cycle is completely beyond what even indie studios have. As others have said, at some point, you need a finished product. You can continue to develop after that, but the project lead doesn’t seem to know how to do that and continue to build upon that foundation. Scope creep, indeed.

This might not technically be a scam, but half a billion dollars for a decade of snail’s-paced development and only alpha-ware to show for it at least begins to smell like one.

Plus, technology is developing faster than the dev is able to create. As it progresses, will the dev revise the scope to match the new tech? Based on the track record, I’m betting “yes,” and this will never be finished in his lifetime.

• Nefyedardu@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Ever hear of “Chase Two Rabbits, Catch None”? Reminds me of George R. R. Martin talking about writing the last two ASOIAF books at the same time. Just… finish your fucking product please.