I’m looking for some recommendations for things to listen to or casually watch to stay ‘in the loop’ on the standout games of the year, hear discussion of good games in general, feed my video game fan soul but not just about the newest latest thing.

I figured this group might know of good spots to look.

What are your favorites?

• li10@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I haven’t followed any gaming news since Totalbiscuit passed away.

If anyone has a suggestion that fills that gap then I’d love to hear it, but I doubt there is :/

• NeryK@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yup, I do miss the “TGS Co-Optional Podcast” too. I’m still listening to “Cox & Crendor in the morning” but it’s something of a nostalgia trip.

You could give “The Jeff Gerstmann Show” a try. He’s been running a solo operation since he was fired from Giant Bomb last year. His insights into the video game industry are second to none, even though the solo act might not be to everybody’s taste.

• NightOwl@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same I’ve searched and haven’t found any. And he was such a strong advocate for quality PC ports too, which has also not been filled. He was great. And I discovered so many indies titles through his videos.

• 🐱TheCat@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Oh man this comment sent me down a Totalbiscuit nostalgia rabbit hole.

I’m surprised that I can’t find some of the stuff I thought I remembered… like, didn’t he play some kind of battle royal game before fortnite and PUBG? I remember a specific clip of him and a buddy laughing their heads off as a poison smoke ring closed in on him (unarmed or just an axe or something) and another player (armed with a much better weapon) - and he wins by running into the smoke and bandaging.

Not sure if that was total biscuit but I know a lot of funniest videos from that time were usually him

• Bisonico@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Skill Up is pretty much the only thing I watch regularly since TB sadly passed away. His weekly(ish) news roundup videos are an easy way to keep semi up with what’s happening and if you have more free time I believe he’s also involved in a podcast (Friends Per Second).

• Anestoh@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Jeff Gerstmann has a solo podcast now and it’s really good for just general video came news/reviews and the latest in energy drink rankings. I’ve been a fan since the early Giant Bomb days and he still has the same energy he ever did.

If you don’t recognize the name, he was the one that got fired from Gamespot back in the day for giving a game an average score when the publisher was advertising on the site. Loads of integrity.

• vulgarcynic@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Piggybacking off that, Nextlander is a great pod/crew as well. It’s composed of 3 other folks that split off of Giantbomb. They have a good chemistry after 15+ years of working together and being in the industry. One word of caution, they’re 40 something dudes, so it’s a little more mellow than a lot of gaming personalities and prone to some pretty funny tangents that are not gaming related.

• Anestoh@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I gotta start listening to more Nextlander, but I don’t have the time in my week for all the podcasts coming out. I wish they’d guest on each other’s shows, I yearn for that Endurance Run Jeff and Vinny energy.

• vulgarcynic@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Vinny is clutch with everybody. I think he low-key is the best gaming journalist out there. Never steals the spotlight and “yes, and’s” with the best of em. Nextlander is one of my weekly must listens. I am so happy they found their footing after the split.

Also, Alex just bought a house and I am so ready for the “Vinny coaches someone through the basics of homeownership moments” he’s a goddamn treasure.

• Rugtert@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The channel Gamelinked by Linus Tech Tips went online yesterday, they’re planning 2 videos every week. Looks promising to me!

• Ɀeus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

manyatruenerd is pretty much the only gaming youtuber I follow anymore. he’s just so positive and always finds some good in a game (apart from redfall)

• ejlaj@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve been really liking the Minnmax Podcast. They mostly do discussions about up and coming games they’re excited about (either from trailers or sometimes they play pre release versions of games), but sometimes they talk about older games that they discovered recently.

• enticix@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

One big reason why I like Triple Click is that at the end of their episodes, they have a short segment where they highlight something interesting each of them has played/read/watched in the past week. This is where they sometimes touch on lesser known indie gems (when they’re not completely absorbed in one game), but it’s also good for book/TV/movie recommendations if you’re interested

Also as games journalists, they are up to date on the more corporate events and details so some of their topics can get pretty news-y but not often

• Cloudless ☼@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I like “Remember the Game”, the host has nearly the same gaming tastes as me. He is funny and he doesn’t waste time like many other gaming podcasters.

• Omniforous@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If you are ok Australians them Thumb Cramps is a good podcast. They cover new and old games, and they aren’t afraid to give praise to unconventional games (star wars pod racer was game of the year for one host)

• Kurama@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Exiled, FightinCowboy, GirlfriendReviews, Gameranx, PushSquare and Mortismal gaming is what I’m following on YT