The Canadian government says it is urgently trying to end the forced sterilization of Indigenous women, describing the practice as a human rights violation and a prosecutable offense. Yet police say they will not pursue a criminal investigation into a recent case in which a doctor apologized for his “unprofessional conduct” in sterilizing an Inuit woman.

In July, The Associated Press reported on the case of an Inuit woman in Yellowknife who had surgery in 2019 aimed at relieving her abdominal pain. The obstetrician-gynecologist, Dr. Andrew Kotaska, did not have the woman’s consent to sterilize her, and he did so over the objections of other medical personnel in the operating room. She is now suing him.

“This is a pivotal case for Canada because it shows that forced sterilization is still happening,” said Dr. Unjali Malhotra, of the First Nations Health Authority in British Columbia. “It’s time that it be treated as a crime.”

• TSG_Asmodeus (he, him)@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Check out Starlight Tours, and that the last Residential School was closed in 1996.

Canadians also coined both the term Final Solution (“_to the Indian Question _”) and gave the Nazis ideas on how to achieve such a thing.

(I am Canadian and I think it’s important the world sees us for our flaws as well as our strengths).

• not_that_guy05@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

A true patriot of your nation. Accepting the good and bad of your country and showing the bad parts with light is good for a country. I do the same for the US. I will always bring in the bad and good of the US. No reason to hide it but instead to learn from it.

• the_inebriati@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

The process of loving an institution or a country or an idea is fundamentally different from the process of loving a person.

To love a person is to accept them on every level of their being.

To love an institution is to be its harshest critic, in the hopes that we can better direct the strokes from our hammer and our chisel to reveal the sculpture within. Nobody has ever created anything beautiful by loudly claiming their block of marble is better than the rest.

• Datto@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Same boat here bud, there are more than a few of us. I love my countrymen, our heritage, and the people who come to help us build a great new world for all. Canada and the US are the same this way, we both have amazing people, but our governments are a bit shit.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Yeah people act like America soaked the continent in blood and Canada just showed up friendly like. Like no, Ontario could’ve easily been one of the founding colonies in the US. There is no nation in the western hemisphere that’s existence is not in some way the result of violent colonialism. And where the majority of citizens don’t have significant native heritage that colonialism included significant attempts to exterminate the people who were already here.

We can be better. But if we pretend that the way our countries treat our indigenous population is anything other than what it is, then we’re going to really struggle to improve.

• GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I agree with everything you say here, but I’m curious why you don’t think it applies to most of the eastern hemisphere, as well. This isn’t unique behavior for some small region or point in time.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

It does apply to most of the eastern hemisphere, but I didn’t feel like listing off exceptions and instead chose to focus on the wave of colonialism that is the American continent cluster