Everyone knows the tale of Brand X getting bought out by some faceless global conglomerate and going to shit, but does the opposite ever happen?

• Jakeroxs@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

They 100% have been selling ARM windows machines for years now, they just suck in comparison to x86

They did push for universal binaries, but no devs wanted to make the switch, I actually appreciate that Windows didn’t bork all prior applications unilaterally like Apple does with most of their OS releases (I work for a company that has a program with Linux/windows/macOS and I swear every single major macOS update breaks shit and Apple doesn’t give a fuck)

I don’t see the performance being comparable yet, at least in my experience the power of ARM is much more in its energy efficiency, it simply does not compete in actual real world power (at least yet)

Ultimately I think it comes down more to Apple vs Windows approaches, Apple controls every aspect of every official device running macOS, windows is much more free form with so many manufacturers and different configurations being possible.

I would never willingly purchase an Apple device for that reason, but I also like Linux, just too much of a gamer to constantly want to worry about compatability.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Can you not just install Windows 11 normally on an ARM processor? I would think it’d be included with a normal installer but idk for sure, do people even build custom ARM rigs?

Its sort of a give and take though still, you can’t really build a hackintosh without very specific parts so… The fact there is no “macOS for ARM” copy available at all makes the point somewhat moot no?

UWP still exists, Microsoft is like the only one still developing them though, there are a few others but it’s definitely not a focus for any devs outside of Microsoft that I’ve seen.

Though I do agree that Apple generally sticks to their decisions whether for better or for worse :p

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Right gotcha, wasn’t aware there isn’t an installable windows for ARM specifically.

I know though, that’s kind of my point, the landscape and way in which windows works on way way more configurations compared to Mac (simply due to the differences we’ve both pointed out) makes it not quite a fair comparison, Apple controls all aspects of the hardware and ONLY their hardware (or choice of hardware) is made to work with it, so it’s much easier for them to develop and force people over to ARM or whatever specific system they’re pushing developers and users towards, whereas windows is much more backwards compatible and users/manufacturers/devs have a lot more options out there.

Similar to Android vs iOS, it’s a lot easier to tightly control and force certain things when you’re the arbiter of where people can install apps, what hardware it can run on, and every design aspect.