I don’t know whether I’m just missing an obvious solution here, but this driving me nuts.

There’s a Wikipedia article I want to create a simple map for. I need a mostly greyscale (like Positron), ~1x1km section of the map on which I want draw some lines and labels in Inkscape. If I could remove all the labels including street names that’d be great, but it’s not required.

Essentially, I want the export function of openstreetmap.org, but with less cluttered styles. www.printmaps.net would be exactly what I’m looling for, but their free tier watermarks the image and the license is too restrictive for Wikimedia Commons.

There’s a ton of programs available on the wiki, but all of them seem to require at least some coding skills, which I don’t have. I’ve already learned to use inkscape for some other illustrations, I’m not going down that rabbit hole again for Wikipedia.

Is there a simple, preferably web-based, tool that allows me to import or choose a style, use a GUI to select an area and then just save that as an image?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• ngprc@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

If it works it works. 💁🏼‍♂️ As someone who tends to overengineer lots of things being reminded that “good enough is good enough” is priceless.

Op just make sure the map is zoomed in as much as possible and necessary and this should work fine.

• Tvkan@feddit.deOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

That’s probably what I’ll end up doing - the resolution should be high enough for my use-case.

I think I’m just a bit stumped (and frustrated) there’s myriad of programs that allow you to do all kinds of things, including a lot that do all of the work of rendering it for printing and different paper sizes, but none for this mucj more basic task.

Thank you both!

• alex [they, il]@jlai.lu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I have nothing to bring to your question but wanted to say hello, fellow “learning Inkscape for Wikipedia” person!

• Tvkan@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

This unfortunately doesn’t allow you to draw a custom route, at least on the German Wikipedia. Thank you.