As I noted within my post #9955859@lemm.ee (alternate link), I found that thumbnail generation in Element is an enourmous privacy, and security vulnerability. Thumbnails are generated server-side, regardless of E2EE settings. What this means is that the URLs that one sends would be leaked out of your encrypted chats to the server.

• Kalcifer@lemm.eeOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

This is indeed an obstacle in practicality. You are absolutely right in that any channel under control by the admin could be used as a means to orchestrate a MITM attack and replace my public key with theirs. The only way for this to work is for me to personally provide my public key in a separate, and secure channel like Matrix.

I would like to emphasize that this is all just an experiment for my own interest. I would certainly not recommend what I am doing to anyone else.

content-signature:nHszcVqN6q4R+QXnem7w42nxw58kNPNV3UGVK/rxBP5QBWNjoHX5WstdcuLWiiuuky0ZwXVR6zif2/+oWwRcmDtbv+FNlBOKSIVfcW1lSOQNQeBddbmBNIfP7hBjtTSVbszIZPXNzJQykEFdxh9hJVaC3eEqxYnN4oIOdxWjj+MejQ2zpG3l/BdnTLqWX3rf4HK4VPD8OMYyxTbqhtTMMje+tfCrf/EtRfgY3gd0Clm6oWw6WeD6QgQdJHgbRlDrZwIVE8F5zdtnooFcIptlo4ovJl9VX7FdBCExRW9MQJUU+3AZv5gVCZ4pZ9zZaXihGmhdNRDbAX9XQVUSSRc+1w==