When I’m driving with the phone is a dashboard mount, everything else on the phone is super slow and laggy. To the point where if something doesn’t work via voice control, I’m afraid to do it manually like when stopped at a red light, in case I can’t switch back to navigation before I need to make a turn. Google Maps on OnePlus 9 w sd888.

Is there in existence yet a phone that’s fast enough for task switching while navigating? Is it just Google maps being a resource hog? Is there a better app?

• redcalcium@c.calciumlabs.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That doesn’t sound normal. I’m using a phone with much slower processors than yours and Google Maps doesn’t slow the phone down when navigating.

One thing to check is if your phone is overheating during navigating? Putting the phone near the windshield where it’s getting roasted by the sun while running demanding application such as Google Maps navigation might cause your phone’s temperature to spike beyond normal operating range, which cause it to throttle the CPU in order to reduce heat. If your phone is hot, try to put it in front of an AC vent or shaded area in your car.

• dontbreakit@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Is the phone maybe overheating and throttling, due to being exposed to direct sunlight on the dash? Wireless charging can have the same effect

• Takatakatakatakatak@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is not normal at all. Reflash your phone, or at the very least ensure it isn’t thermal throttling. Even a poxy mediatek chipset doesn’t do this.