Curious to see the differences across the countries.

• raina@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Finland. Traditionally not a thing at all but each year the commercial aspects creep in more and earlier. Nothing about them can be contextualized further than “it’s an American thing”.

• gnuplusmatt@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

That’s pretty much what’s happening here in Australia. I really only see halloween stuff in stores. I don’t think anyone is buying it

• hitmyspot@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Lol, it’s a big, big deal. Bonfires, dress up, trick or treat was all done as kids. It’s a bit different to tv version in America, but that has crept in over time. However, it’s always been a big deal as a festival.

Food is different - monkey nuts, barn brack (sweet bread) with a fainne (ring), cloth or coin to predict the future. The púca. Fireworks. Bonfires. Public holiday. School half term. Change of seasons.

• Blizzard@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Not a big thing in Poland but it’s present. Kids have fun going around their neigbourhood after dark (smaller ones usually under their parents’ watch) hunting for candies, young-to-middle-age people get an excuse to throw a party. It’s mostly a curiosity, not something people wait the whole year for or go out of their way to decorate their house like in the US. I personally don’t enjoy dress-ups but if kids are having fun and the religious people are getting triggered because of a “western, non traditional, pagan custom”, then I’m all for it.

• rgb3x3@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Kids hunting for candies and adults having an excuse to throw parties is the main reason people enjoy Halloween in the US too. Of course, the season of scary is a ton of fun too. It’s the only time of the year that everyone goes all-out with horror movies and haunted houses.

• Kühe sind toll@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

In Germany it’s not a big deal. People have an excuse to get drunk at a Halloween themed party but that’s it.

• Kalash@feddit.ch
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

It’s not a thing.

The odd bar or club will have a “halloween” themed evening or something, but that’s all there is.

• Loui@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Some kids go from door to door. Some kindergartens celebrate Halloween. But they are a minority. This is in southern Germany.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Interesting, where do you live?

• Kalash@feddit.ch
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Southern Germany for two decades, Switzerland for the last couple years.

• EuroNutellaMan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Wdym, we still celebrate Halloween. And not just kids, there’s plenty of themed parties in uni and stuff.

We even have an infamous “journalist” smash pumpkins on live tv cause “we don’t want Halloween”

• Eq0@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I saw some kids having themed Halloween parties, and in some small towns kids going door to door, but it’s very local, most places would not have that.

• ZILtoid1991@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Hungarian here, and a lot of far-right nationalists hate it, so it de-facto became part of the counter-culture.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

They think it’s an anti-christian holiday, and thanks to recent revisionism, they now think christianity was first practiced by Magyars, thus Halloween=anti-Magyarism.

• alokir@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Also that it’s a foreign holiday that was imported to make money and taint our culture.

Some who are more into conspiracy theories also say that they want to push uniformity through American pop culture because “The Jews™” want to make a one world government and enslave everyone.

They say it’s anti-Christian because instead of practicing the Christian customs of remembering the dead and praying on this day, kids go out to party dressed as demons.

Source: my neighbor is a far right conspiracy theorist and goes on the same rant about it every year.

• illi@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

thanks to recent revisionism, they now think christianity was first practiced by Magyars

I’d lovw to know the mental gymnastics behind this one.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Hungarian national mysticism, mostly built around the idea of that the Magyars did even less crimes in history than we often dare to admit.

Since a big issue was the genocide of pagans by Stephen I. (to the point barely anything remained of it), a large chunk of it is to rewrite the religion part of our history. Even crazier is that many of them assume we were the Huns too, and since there was some myth that Mary might have been a Hun princess, this also proves Jesus Christ was Magyar himself. It is often paired with the idea that the idea, that the Carpathians are “actually the ancient home of the Magyars, because Huns”, thus denying the genocide of Avars, displacement of Slavs (this is very important, since Slovakia’s territory used to be part of Hungary, and denying the legitimacy of a nation is a good gateway for ethnic cleansing á la Russia), etc.

• alokir@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Looking at historic facts and evidence selectively, misinterpreting them, ignoring anything that contradicts them. Also, just making shit up and saying it with a straight face so you don’t question them. It also helps that the time period isn’t well documented so they can just fill the gaps with fantasy.

If you don’t know much about history and don’t look into their claims at all they can be surprisingly convincing.

• Bappity@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

UK - not really. less than half the houses in my area put up any decorations/leave out a pumpkin for it. though might be because I’m in an area with a lot of old people.

still fun to see though.

• theinspectorst@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I’d say far less than half based on my experience - I’ve very rarely seen people putting out a pumpkin or other Halloween decorations in their houses.

The one aspect of Halloween celebrations that I think does exist in the UK is trick-or-treating, which I did do as a kid, but even then it’s been probably over a decade since I last had a trick-or-treater knock on my door, though that may be partly a London factor.

• Squids@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

In Norway and it’s definitely becoming more of a thing. Growing up I never did it, but now I run out of lollies because there’s so many kids out and about.

On the flip side, Norway does have their own Halloween style celebration where you go around dressed up and demand lollies from people door to door (julebukk - I’m not sure what the exact date for it is, and I think it varies depending on where you are, but it takes place between boxing day and up to and on new year’s Eve) which I’ve definitely noticed has been declining the last few years. Maybe kids want to celebrate Halloween more than julebukk? Probably because on Halloween you can just, show up and demand shit while on julebukk you actually have to prepare a little song and whatnot.

Shame because like, julebukk is a) actually traditional and b) has some weird ass lore behind it. Like it’s something about appeasing the Christmas goat (who may or may not be a demon saint Nicholas personally went down to hell to beat the shit out of until he agreed to help him)

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Julebukk looks amazing!

• idkwhatimdoing@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

In (Madrid, at least) Spain, it’s a sorta huge deal in schools, with every kid under 14-15 dressing up, a lot of schools doing costume parades, and many classes giving out candy and watching movies. But outside of school, it’s all but ignored. You’ll see little kids in costumes and a few bar events, but no trick or treating and no decorations.

The much bigger day/event is carnival, for which kids wear costumes again and there’s a big parade in most cities.

• nicetriangle@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

From the US so it’s obviously big there, though it isn’t quite what it was when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s.

Live in the Netherlands now and it’s not much of a thing outside of the occasional bar deciding to make a thing out of it or maybe North American immigrants throwing a party.

• rgb3x3@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

My wife and I are planning to move to the Netherlands by 2030 and what we’ll miss most is Halloween and Thanksgiving. We love the fall season of holidays in the US.

We’ll definitely host some American-style Halloween parties if the neighborhood would enjoy them. And decorate our home outside if that’s allowed.