Back in the old times, on the sites I log in regularly, my browser filled in both username and password. I clicked “Log in” once, and I was set to go.

But no more. Now it’s all first a username, then a password. From what I saw, Apple started this many years ago, but now this bother really spread. And it’s not like I can just double-click on the same screen area, oh no. Animations make sure that I have to wait several hundred milliseconds before the password field is there, and depending on the site, I even have to select from my browser, which login I want to use, twice!

Why, oh why?

All my screens are really big enough to display 2 text fields. What are arguments for this behavior? I don’t see any.

• bus_factor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

If you put that much trust in users you are in for a rough time. You’d get tons of “forgot password” requests because people expect to fill in every password field they’re presented with. If you ask them what mode of auth they used, they don’t know. Heck, I consider myself fairly on top of things, and I don’t always remember how I authenticated to some site I rarely visit.

Most users would rather wait for an extra page load than deal with any of the above.