Why YSK: Beehaw defederated from Lemmy.World and Sh.itjust.works effectively shadowbanning anyone from those instances. You will not be able to interact with their users or posts.

Edit: A lot of people are asking why Beehaw did this. I want to keep this post informational and not color it with my personal opinion. I am adding a link to the Beehaw announcement if you are interested in reading it, you can form your own views. https://beehaw.org/post/567170

• lwuy9v5@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Also - fwiw - they are likely to refederate in the future. I subscribe to beehaw communities, cuz we can still see them, just can’t talk to them.

• inverimus@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

For instances that are mostly for discussion, its pretty pointless to stay subscribed.

• dom@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Unless you’re ok lurking and just reading. I used to rarely contribute to ask reddit, but I would read a ton of those threads

• wildeaboutoskar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

As a member of Beehaw I haven’t seen any reason not to trust them so far. They’ve been transparent about why it was done and they’ve spoken with other instance admins.

Think we have to be conscious that this is all still at an early stage and generally it’s wise to give people the benefit of the doubt at first. I get the cynicism but this isn’t a privatised space- people across lemmy have been constructive and open so far, so maybe give them a chance?

• 🦥󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Both teams of admins have been openly posting about the discissions they’ve had with each other too. There isnt any hostility or underlying motives behind the situation at all. They are genuinely open and honest about things and definitely looking to refederate once it makes sense again to do so.

It might seem like there is some drama here but there really isn’t any at all.

• jherazob@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

They’ve already been talking to the admins of those instances, they did it because there weren’t better options like in Mastodon, remember that Lemmy is still Alpha software

• aebrer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah I don’t see any issue with having conversations with each other even if the beehaw folks never see it

• kvothelu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

is there a list of beehaw community? how do I know which community is from beehaw?

this is a bit confusing but I will prevail