Why YSK: Beehaw defederated from Lemmy.World and Sh.itjust.works effectively shadowbanning anyone from those instances. You will not be able to interact with their users or posts.

Edit: A lot of people are asking why Beehaw did this. I want to keep this post informational and not color it with my personal opinion. I am adding a link to the Beehaw announcement if you are interested in reading it, you can form your own views. https://beehaw.org/post/567170

• Boozilla@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s important to note that the admins of beehaw are not happy about this solution, either. And they hope to refederate once they have better tools and enough mods / admins to deal with it.

They point wasn’t to shadowban, that was a side effect. The point was to protect their member–who specifically wanted a certain type of safe friendly instance–from hostile weirdos sending dick pics and stuff like that. Nobody’s happy with the situation, but it’s the best they could do under the circumstances with the resources they have.

I also don’t think it’s wrong for instances to have their own strong rules and preferences. This is one of the GOOD things about the Fediverse. The software features and how people use lemmy will catch up eventually.

As for the confusion / chaos around multiple/redundant/competing communities and so on…that will get better over time as people figure things out. Honestly it’s not that different than reddit with all of its splinter subs like “true-” whatever.

• masterspace@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

As for the confusion / chaos around multiple/redundant/competing communities and so on…that will get better over time as people figure things out. Honestly it’s not that different than reddit with all of its splinter subs like “true-” whatever.

That’s true for just the duplication problem, but the defederation / shadow banning issue is not one that reddit has and is pretty confusing and poor user experience for new users coming in.

• rbits@lemmy.fmhy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Right, but even non-reddit users would be confused by it. When everyone advertises lemmy as seamlessly integrating with all the different instances, it doesn’t matter what instance your account is on, this definitely is not that.

• webjukebox@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

The idea behind federation is, that individuals host their own instance and connect (federate) with others individual’s instances.

But that’s not easy for less tech savvy people.

• It’s a young platform experiencing unprecedented growth. There’s going to be growing pains where misunderstandings and misinformation are bound to happen. We need to correct the misinformation and set proper expectations.

The ability for a server admin to choose what servers they federate with is a core concept of the fediverse and needs to be properly communicated.

• deweydecibel@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Except you’re not making a case for why they should rather than go to some other alternative once it pops up soon.

• One of us is confused, I’m not sure which. I’m not “making a case” for anything. I stated a fact, “Lemmy != Reddit”. It’s a completely different platform, with different underlying technology, that can perform a similar task. Anyone who’s representing it as a 1:1 reddit clone that you can just hop to with no effort to learn how it works, is misleading others.

I’m not trying to win any arguments nor convince anyone to stay. If another alternative pops up, try it, if you like it use it. If you like lemmy use it. Hell, use them both or use neither. That’s the benefit of having choices.

• JesusTheCarpenter@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

Well, new Reddit might easily mean better but also diffderent Reddit. Also, I am not sure whether people actually call it a new Reddit. Most of the time I heard the destription was a Reddit alternative which by definition doesn’t imply that it’s identical or even better in all ways.

• sachasage@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

But… It is essentially identical in design to Reddit apart from the decentralised concept.

• BURN@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Which is a massive change that tbh I’m still not sold on.

Federation seems to cause more problems than it solves and it’s created so many fractured communities that it’s impossible to get involved in niche ones anymore.

• sachasage@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

It’s definitely more messy. I suppose the reason i left Reddit was that the corporate structure ended up compromising their ability to live up to the responsibility of running a community space. As running the community became increasingly subordinate to revenue the decisions of the corporate body became increasingly out of whack with the best interests of the community. The federated concept feels like a possible solution to that problem.

• sachasage@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

But… It is essentially identical in design to Reddit apart from the decentralised concept.

• deweydecibel@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I foresee a lot of issues with defederation and the proposed mod tools in the future, as well. They can refederate but it’s not a good look for the platform when the federation can be fractured so easily. We have not seen the last of this issue.

I also question what it’s going to look like when these moderation tools are implemented. Lemmy has more avenues for moderation/admin abuse than Reddit, and less recourse for users. There are a lot of concerns here that just seem to be swept under the rug under the pretence that “you can always go to another instance”.

Ultimately it’s not an issue with the function of the fediverse, but with the moderation philosophy of the people running these instances. Particularly when it comes to the viability of voting. That’s a huge opportunity for suppression that I don’t trust certain admins not to abuse.

• MiddleKnight
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

How does Lemmy have more avenues for admin abuse than Reddit? On either platform, the admins can technically do whatever they want. (Including editing users posts, spez). Lemmy makes it easier to just go somewhere else. At the end of the day that is all you can do.

• sadreality@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

The` point was to protect their member–who specifically wanted a certain type of safe friendly instance–from hostile weirdos sending dick pics and stuff like that``

They are making community policy around a single person?

I am not following.

With that being said, they can do as they please and other can do what they want. That’s the beautity of the protocol.

However, people shoudnt be surpised when others take the ball and play else where.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

• wildeaboutoskar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

That was just a typo. Beehaw has advertised itself as being a largely positive, safe online space. People who sign up for it would generally be considered to want that same ethos.

It’s not ideal at the moment but until the moderation tools improve it’s the best way forward if they want to stick to their ethos. I enjoy Beehaw and the admin do seem like they want to refererate when it’s possible to.

I’m on both Beehaw and Lemmy.world so I between the two I can interact with everything I would want to see.

• wunami@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be “members” and missing the s is a typo.

• rimlogger@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Wow so much misinformed hostility against Beehaw here. The mod tools for Lemmy are currently limited and they just want to protect their community from trolls and spam. There’s no conspiracy here to break federation.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Beehaw is some pseudo moral purity echo chamber. They consider anyone with a contrary opinion a troll. People create these “safe spaces” under the guise of protecting minority groups, but fuck… I’m a minority, and I knew immediately I wasn’t going to be welcome there.

People are free to judge it as they please.

–edit–

Why aren’t other instances having this problem? Like if trolls and spam are such an issue, why do I only see relevant on topic comments in other instances?

The issue isn’t trolls, it’s political dissent. And if you care about the truth, if you care about having the ability to talk about and express your ideas freely to other people, to have uncomfortable discussions with people you disagree with, to be exposed to new ideas, and fuck… to possibly even change your mind, you shouldn’t support beehaw.

If you genuinely want that type of environment, go for it, but that place should be called out for what it is.

This type of political authoritianism is why I left Reddit. It kills discussion, and I’m here for critical discussion.

• Elkaki123@vlemmy.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Why would you not be welcome? Is it for your political opinions? Even if it were, I don’t think they would personally shun you unless it entails attacking minorities.

That aside, and having said that of course it is everyone’s perrogative to judge this behavior, I personally feel it is an exaggeration. Not every instance is about free speech nor should they be, at the end of the day the fediverse is about creating communities, one is able and should shape them into what their vision of that is. This is not authoritarianism, in this case they said it is due to their inability to moderate.

Even if it weren’t for that, it is good that communities don’t federate with every instance, aa I said, not everyone is about free speech and changing opinions some are here to have a good time and for that adequate protection is necessary.

I myself prefer deciding myself when to block other instances, so I joined one that let’s users decide. But if other instances decided to block us I would understand and either move on or join another instance to interact with them without thinking much about it (having multiple accounts is kind of easy on the apps,)

I think I’m kind of used from servers blocking one another from my time on mastodon and I’ve seen the necessity of the practice, for example an anime focused group blocking bot instances, brigading, alt right groups, etc.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

This is not authoritarianism, in this case they said it is due to their inability to moderate.

Rationally I think this is straight bullshit. Their inability to moderate is because of the desire to control the political direction of topics. If people want an echo chamber, fine, but I’m calling it out.

• DarkWasp@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Beehaw lost me when admins allowed a female user to repeatedly insult men, say 95% of them are awful, that men shouldn’t even exist etc they claim they’re a “safe, welcoming space” but it’s actually hypocritical.

They defederated from this and other instances and yet I’ve never seen any comments reaching that level of hostility here. The only way to interpret that is that they actually are okay with insults and bigotry as long as it suits their whims. If a man had made the same remarks it’d be written off as the rantings of an incel and they’d likely be banned.

I should be their target audience as someone who has voted left my entire life and it’s too much and too controlled for me. Either they’re for all equality and inclusiveness or they’re not. Pick one.

• Distributed@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Eh, there were a few posts about this on lemmy.world when it happened. People went through beehaw’s modlog and could only find a handful of actions taken against both communities.

Seems they just want to have their own little bubble.

• Ataraxia@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Safe spaces are pretty much that. I would actually like to join beehaw if I ever need to switch to an instance for my own sanity. I left reddit but it’s followed us here so I think a more curated experience would be nice.

That is unless they’re nazis, fascists, authoritarian or any other kind of violent extremist faction. I’m sick of having no faith in humanity because of all these backwards ideologies being “expressed”. To quote Costanza, these pretzels are making me thirsty.

• Distributed@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

I also don’t like how beehaw has downvotes disabled. I get not wanting there to be brigading, or negativity, but being able to downvote a troll, or a post that is blatantly providing misinformation (purposefully or not), is invaluable.

• rwhitisissle@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I think there’s value in it. The underlying idea is that if someone is wrong, even if blatantly so, you have to take the effort to explain why. On reddit, the downvote button was just as often used as a community cudgel against dissenting opinion, even when the opinion was 1) genuinely harmless but unpopular, 2) well reasoned and supported by evidence but something that went against the mob mentality, or 3) just something that people didn’t understand and their gut reaction to it was negative.

• ZeroBlitz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Yep, I applied to join when I was fresh and it asks about how active applicants are. I was honest and said I wasn’t the most active person but that I did participate in the subs that I used the most. Was trying to be honest and didn’t see any red flags with that. They still denied me, so fuck beehaw

• Myriadblue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

True, but unsubbed from them when it happened because I don’t want to see communities I can’t interact with.

Why add to the problem and have frustration with wanting to discuss something you are blocked from?

• rimlogger@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

They have every right to protect themselves against spam. But that said, ever since they defederated, their activity and user numbers are down.

• Myriadblue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Agree that they have every right to handle their instance however they want. I also have the right to not interact with them while they are blocking the instance I call home.

• lwuy9v5@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Also - fwiw - they are likely to refederate in the future. I subscribe to beehaw communities, cuz we can still see them, just can’t talk to them.

• inverimus@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

For instances that are mostly for discussion, its pretty pointless to stay subscribed.

• dom@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Unless you’re ok lurking and just reading. I used to rarely contribute to ask reddit, but I would read a ton of those threads

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

As a member of Beehaw I haven’t seen any reason not to trust them so far. They’ve been transparent about why it was done and they’ve spoken with other instance admins.

Think we have to be conscious that this is all still at an early stage and generally it’s wise to give people the benefit of the doubt at first. I get the cynicism but this isn’t a privatised space- people across lemmy have been constructive and open so far, so maybe give them a chance?

• 🦥󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Both teams of admins have been openly posting about the discissions they’ve had with each other too. There isnt any hostility or underlying motives behind the situation at all. They are genuinely open and honest about things and definitely looking to refederate once it makes sense again to do so.

It might seem like there is some drama here but there really isn’t any at all.

• jherazob@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

They’ve already been talking to the admins of those instances, they did it because there weren’t better options like in Mastodon, remember that Lemmy is still Alpha software

• aebrer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah I don’t see any issue with having conversations with each other even if the beehaw folks never see it

• kvothelu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

is there a list of beehaw community? how do I know which community is from beehaw?

this is a bit confusing but I will prevail

• surfrock66@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I disagree with this. A more nuanced take is that you should consider any beehaw communities read only unless refederation happens. The defederation was not out of ill will, it was about self preservation in a growing ecosystem and the reasons were clearly communicated and a path to refederation was left open. Read only posts are still valuable, and even though there is a more complex mechanism at play than true “read only” understanding that you can view is better than just blocking them in reverse. We are all friends here, and I think in the long run refederation will happen as this platform matures.

• Ataraxia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m starting to realize that maybe I should learn to lurk. If I lurked in reddit I would have had a better experience.

• Rolder@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Lurking with occasional comments in areas that interest you is best, I find. Oh and ignoring anyone who comes off as a troll or clown

• Provoked Gamer@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Ignoring anything so controversial that people are at each other’s throats also helps. Although a healthy bit of disagreement is always fine.

• Rolder@reddthat.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Yep I’m all for some healthy back and forth, but once people start frothing at the mouth, I’m out

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah I would agree with this. It’s good to know for anyone new coming in but should be taken in good faith unless and until a reason crops up to change that. Not seen anything like that so far.

• Guy_Fieris_Hair@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It would be nice if Lemmy let you know if you were browsing a thread from a defederated instance. Like a flair in the title or something, So you can read but you know your comment will only be seen by users on your instance.

• surfrock66@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I was subbed to some communities from before defederation. I also have a accounts at a few instances for discovery.

• Bear@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Disclaimer: pretty new to Lemmy a federation (older than this account though).

From what I gather, defederation is supposed to be a function of this whole system, but intended to cut off whole instances that refuse to moderate or are active cesspools. In saying that, I don’t understand Beehaw cutting off two of the other biggest instances. I know they have a weird mentality over there of no downvotes and saw some odd conversations condemning someone’s political views while admitting to not know the person at all (dafuq?).

It seems to me it would make more sense to block a single community rather than the whole instance.

Maybe they want a walled garden, but as new people come in and want as much content as possible to show that this is a better venue than Reddit, to me they give off the wrong message.

Am I mistaken somehow? Anyone able to enlighten me?

• dagwood@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I recommend reading Beehaw’s statement: https://beehaw.org/comment/263590

As it is just text on a screen, I think there are more and less generous ways to read the post. But I think a lack of scalable mod tools (to combat an internet-sized influx of “bad actors”) is a reasonable (and hopefully temporary) rationale for defederation.

• Bear@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Having read this, I get what they’re going for, but also question the venue a bit.

With Lemmy being about federation, it sounds like they want to have a de federated mini Lemmy to themselves where they can decide who is allowed in or not. Not that that is a bad thing, if there’s a demand for it, but I think it’s different than what every other instance is about and maybe would be better as something like a Discord server (or FOSS alternative).

Again just my 2c, I just know I’m looking for a better quality alternative to Reddit, and an isolated instance isn’t my cup of tea.

• CarnivorousCouch@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Eh, I have accounts on both instances. I’ve appreciated the active moderation on some Beehaw communities - I’d rather discuss LGBTQ issues on Beehaw than other instances, for example. But I also like to see more content elsewhere, so I’ve got my Lemmy.world account too. It’s pretty easy to account hop when using an app. It’s reminds me of being a member of multiple hobbyist forums, in a way.

• qevlarr@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I’m still looking for an app that lets me browse using multiple accounts at once. I’d like to have a feed from Beehaw and Lemmy.World, for example. Defederation won’t be a problem if I opt in to moving in and out of their walled garden

• Thunder_Caulk@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

You can do dat with liftoff for lemmy. They have and everything “All” Section where all of your logged in instance in the app is combined into one feed.

• 🦥󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

You can still subscribe to stuff on Beehaw from elsewhere it’s just interaction with it is turned off for now. It would be nice if an app had a selector for what account to post/vote as on the fly though.

• Corkyskog@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

So the question is it turned off for the blocked instances or is it just not visible to Beehaw. If I make a post from Sh.itjustworks, can someone from Lemmyworld see it? Or can no one see it?

• whenigrowup356@lemmy.world
                  cake
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

As far as I understand, Sh.itjustworks and Lemmy.World are communicating like normal right now. So users should be able to post to communities in each of those instances, comment, etc. unless that user is using a Beehaw login.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

I’d rather discuss LGBTQ issues on Beehaw

Sooo… I’m nonbinary… and I got banned from beehaw for talking about my ex pushing their daughter into LGBTQ.

So who gets to decide what issues are acceptable to talk about?

• archomrade [he/him]@midwest.social
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 year ago

I can’t speak to your personal experience in getting banned, but judging from your short comment history so far I wouldn’t want you on my instance, either.

• CarnivorousCouch@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Admins and moderators decide on behavioral standards for their instances, just as it has been for every discussion forum that has ever existed. I don’t care to personally adjudicate your experience with Beehaw - I am simply sharing my own.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 year ago

Sorry did you mean to respond to me? I don’t really see how your comment applies to mine.

• Kayn@dormi.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s important to remember that federation is just a feature in the end. As an instance administrator, you’re absolutely free to choose who to federate with.

I don’t see anyone giving Hexbear any shit for not federating with anybody.

• SwallowsDick@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 year ago

But they’re rightfully salty if Beehaw defederating themselves deprives this platform of a big chunk of content and users, especially during this month

• Thunder_Caulk@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

That’s the thing. If someone defederates with you, and you wand a community on that instance. Then you are free to make the lost community in your instance. And if re-federation happens, both community can co exist without problems.

Also you can make an account on the instance that defederated. So you still can view the community you want.

• NicoCharrua@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

I disagree, they definitely don’t want their own mini Lemmy. They want a safe space they are happy with, and defederation the only way they can do that with Lemmy’s current mod tools.

Lemmy.world and sh.itjust.works make up about 20% of the acitve users in the threadiverse (source). That is a lot, and it sucks, but it’s far off from making beehaw an isolated instance.

Imo for now new users should be discouraged from joining Beehaw, lemmy.world, and sh.itjust.works, since all the content can be seen from other instances anyways.

• Bear@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Fair point. But I will say as a pretty new comer to Lemmy, it is hard to find an instance that you know will be a good fit.

• sapient [they/them]@infosec.pub
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

When your life and right to exist as who you are is political, it’s nice to not have to deal with “debates” over that.

Beehaw is pretty explicitly a safe space for queer people and other members of minority groups, and their allies or just anyone who can take the time not to be bigoted or “Just Ask Questions”. They don’t exactly hide this fact ;p

They are much more proactive about it than other places, sometimes too much for my personal tastes (though I think about making an account there for when I don’t feel up for dealing with shit >.<) even if I respect what they are doing.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

I don’t agree at all. The fact of the matter is I can’t even talk about my lived experiences being nonbinary in beehaw so to call it a safe space for minorities is blatantly false.

This is the “I have a black friend” of online communities.

• sapient [they/them]@infosec.pub
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

From what I see, you said you said something about your ex “”“pushing”“” their daughter “into” LGBTQ. Which is stupid. 99.999% of the time this a bad faith argument from trolls and even if not you cant make someone queer just as much as you can’t make someone straight or cis. Queer people are exposed to intense social pressure to be cishet and yet we are still not. You can feel pressure into hiding or self-repressing or self-denying, but that’s a different thing >.<

Also, you can be bigoted while bieng a part of a minority group.

• Wereduck@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I think a thing to note is that their community was here and well established well before rexxit. Rexxit put a lot of stress on many instances and their moderation ability, so it makes perfect sense that they might prioritize protecting their established community from abuse over being connected to every instance that intends to be a reddit alternative. There are plenty of instances they remain federated to that share their more careful moderation.

I expect that some time in the future they may reconnect with some more popular instances, as rexxit slows down and modding tools improve.

The nice thing about federation is you can choose to join more or less connected instances depending on what type of moderation you are looking for.

• archomrade [he/him]@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I think it’s also important for the this context to understand what beehaw is. They are an instance specifically created to be a more friendly, empathetic community. That made them a bit of a target when the migration started happening, as you might imagine.

Ultimately, they can do whatever they want. I understand that decision might rub some people the wrong way, but in the end it’s their community.

Frankly, after seeing the downfall of other reddit alternatives like voat, I think they’re justified. Young internet communities seem to be prone to being overrun by trolls and neonazis.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s not why voat is full of racists. Voats population surges came from racist Reddit communities getting banned. This is the first time there’s been a reason for other people to migrate off the site.

• Kittybeer@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Newbie here. Is there an easy way to identify a beehaw community? I’ve been hitting the subscribe button left and right to build up my profile feed and I’m just winging it here. thanx!

• Matte@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t understand: did something serious happened, or it’s them overreacting?

• jack@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s just down to Lemmy not having good enough mod tools yet. Beehaw is a carefully curated walled garden instance that hosts some high quality communities; they are availing themselves of the only real tool they have to curb an influx of bad actors from other instances.

Here’s hoping its temporary. The admin team here at sh.itjust.works clearly operates in good faith.

• NuMetalAlchemist@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

They have stated as much, and are open to refederating once the mod tools can handle the influx of people joining instances with open sign-ups. Side effect of the reddit refugee crisis.

• Matte@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

but why bother? they can still enter from any of the thousands of other instances that allow free registration. if they want to troll, they are still able to do that.

• jack@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I’m not an admin, so I’m partially paraphrasing and partially speculating, but my understanding is that we’re still in the whack-a-mole phase of lemmy moderation due to the immaturity of the platform and the tooling surrounding it. sh.itjust.works and lemmy.world were the most visible issues because they grew VERY quickly and have no barriers to registration - they became big enough and some users problematic enough to warrant a full, well-articulated post from the Beehaw admins regarding the defederation.

Take a look at the massive list of blocked instances on beehaw.org/instances and you’ll see that the level of care and attention regarding this specific defederation makes this situation fairly unique. Smaller instances probably just get banned near immediately. Sucks that the end result is for us to be lumped in with racists and the like, but it looks like all involved parties expect this to be resolved eventually.

Like I said, it’s just a matter of tooling. Our admins are doing an excellent job, considering. I know this because I watch the bullshit I report get dealt with in near real time. I don’t envy the work they’re putting in.

• Manticore@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

They defederated because they were both large Lemmy instances with zero review process for joining users, and they’d rapidly starting acquiring bots and bad actors. Because of federation, these accounts could interact on Beehaw’s server like they were locals.

Beehaw on the other hand, has a human-powered review process for signup. It isn’t strict, but it keeps out bots or low-effort users. Beehaw’s community goal means that reducing the amount of bots, bad actors, and low-effort users on the platform is a priority for them. Their moderating is also human-powered, and very involved - not outright banning/blocking. They reach out to users to discuss their content’s intent, and issue warnings/requests personally as needed.

That level of moderation is fantastic for fostering community and is compassionate for ignorance and error; but it isn’t scalable when being hammered by bots and an influx of new accounts. Beehaw’s only protection from instances that shelter bots and bad actors was to defederate from them until those instances were able to address them somehow.

The Beehaw admins have reached out to the admins of the other instances; their hope is to find a solution that reduces the amount of bots and spam accounts creating on .world and .works. They don’t want defederation to be a permanent solution, it’s just the only feasible one they had.

• Riaz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

There sign up process was nearly successful in putting me off from ever trying Lemmy. I almost gave up finding instances which would let me join without filling in a completely stupid form where I have to state what communities I will join when I haven’t even had a chance to get to know what communities are out there!!.

• BURN@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Same here. The signup process for Lemmy sucks. It’s confusing and instances make no logical sense for account management. Personally I have no interest in other instances, so eventually I just picked the biggest and that’s what I’m sticking with.

• ɢᴜᴍᴅʀᴏᴘʙᴜɴɴɪᴇꜱ@lib.lgbt
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

The admins of beehaw are more Liberal (if you are anywhere in the LGBTQIA+ space the other side’s content is largely considered offensive enough to defederate from) and presumably the other way around.

Annoyingly I guess it all comes around to politics and which side of history you want to be on. Personally I’m all for letting other people be in charge of whatever the fuck they want to do with their life - to an extent - but context matters

Boozilla’s comment explains in better detail and I 100% recommend a read to gain a better understanding. Basically the moderation tools on Lemmy aren’t quite up to stuff yet

• XeroxCool@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t know anything about the issue being that Beehaw is too liberal, only that some other instances were 1. Too easy to make accounts on and 2. Allowing an influx of super right/downright nazi punks to start spamming without any serious moderation.

• ɢᴜᴍᴅʀᴏᴘʙᴜɴɴɪᴇꜱ@lib.lgbt
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t call Beehaw “too liberal”, though I don’t personally see being “for freedom” as a bad thing - you’re definitely right. It’s more about the moderation tools and being able to separate opposing points of view from relevant communities

…and in case I have not made it perfectly clear I think the fact that Nazis still exist in the information age is absolutely fucking absurd

• Damaniel@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

And this is why the fediverse will never work out - if I gamble wrong and set up shop on an instance that gets in a pissing match with other ones, I either have to make an account elsewhere (and then have to do it again later the next time two instances defederate each other) or live with only seeing some of my subscribed content.

• gon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I disagree simply on the basis that they hope to refederate eventually, and it might be good to already be subbed. But yeah.

• Spzi@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m sure it will be announced. It will be big lemmy news, hard to miss.

• Sean@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Can you help me understand exactly how this will affect me? I actually have accounts on both lemmy.world and beehaw.org (I signed up for both when I initially found Lemmy and was trying to figure the whole thing out).

If I’m on my lemmy.world account, will I no longer be able to browse beehaw communities? On the flip side, if I’m on my beehaw.org account, will I no longer be able to browse lemmy.world communities?

Am I understanding things correctly? If that’s the case, then is the only solution to flip back and forth between the two accounts depending on which server the community I’m wanting to browse is on?

• Kaltovar@lemmy.villa-straylight.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Okay, guess I just won’t use it then if they defed from my primary instance. Glad they did this now and not later when they became bigger and more important.

If they’re that into making a safe space then fine. Hopefully some other people will also make more free spaces and both of them can exist and everyone can be happy.

I realize that is a highly optimistic outlook to put it mildly. I must remain hopeful to avoid losing my mind, if I haven’t already -.-

• MomSpaghetti@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The first post I came across from another instance was on Beehaw. It was very confusing trying to figure out the federation concept with that community being my first visit.

• Matt Payne@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Is there a page where we can see which instances are ban-crazy and which ones actually federate and communicate?