Why YSK: Beehaw defederated from Lemmy.World and Sh.itjust.works effectively shadowbanning anyone from those instances. You will not be able to interact with their users or posts.

Edit: A lot of people are asking why Beehaw did this. I want to keep this post informational and not color it with my personal opinion. I am adding a link to the Beehaw announcement if you are interested in reading it, you can form your own views. https://beehaw.org/post/567170

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

This is not authoritarianism, in this case they said it is due to their inability to moderate.

Rationally I think this is straight bullshit. Their inability to moderate is because of the desire to control the political direction of topics. If people want an echo chamber, fine, but I’m calling it out.

• rwhitisissle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If people want an echo chamber, fine, but I’m calling it out.

Yes, that was always allowed. Beehaw is extremely up front about the kinds of voices and perspectives welcome on it. It never claimed to be a bastion of free speech. Complaining about that is like saying you don’t like a burger restaurant because they don’t serve sushi.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Dude this is a discussion based website, and you’re complaining about me complaining? Pot meet kettle.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

you’re complaining about me complaining?

I think it was Alexander Pope who once said that bad criticism does more harm than bad writing. Same principle applies here. Your criticism is bad. You don’t like getting “called out on it,” then make a better one.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Dude I’m voicing my opinion. You apparently don’t even disagree you just dislike like I’m expressing it? What’s your deal?

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Your opinion encompasses a criticism of another Lemmy community on the basis that it doesn’t operate in a way that you like. Which is fine. But you framed it as a fault of the community itself and not a matter of personal preference. My “deal” is that I don’t think that’s very cash money of you, pimp.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 year ago

I don’t give two fucks what you think about the “framing” of what I’ve said. Would you get upset if someone said “McDonald’s is shit food” or “Reality TV is shit television”?

Anyways, your criticism has absolutely nothing to do with the content of my comment. You’ve said you agree with me so 🤷‍♀️

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

I guess it depends on the context. If someone said that McDonald’s quality was fine for the amount of money you spent and is a fine choice if you’re traveling and need to grab something quick to eat and your immediate reply was just that it was shit, I would say that if your opinion is given as a response to someone else’s and is poorly worded or thought out, you’ve automatically opened yourself to having your opinion criticized.

That said, do you not recall that your original response in this thread was to someone who said about Beehaw

This is not authoritarianism, in this case they said it is due to their inability to moderate.

And you disagreed with THEIR opinion?

This entire thing is me thinking your opinion is bad, while your original comment was you saying you think someone else’s opinion is bad.

Pot, meet kettle.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

This entire thing is me thinking your opinion is bad, while your original comment was you saying you think someone else’s opinion is bad.

Dude you’ve provided exactly zero counterpoints to my position. You think my opinion is bad, fine.

• Elkaki123@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Fine, I just don’t get the echo chamber feeling but admittedly I only use beehive for gaming/anime/escapism hobby related communities so I haven’t seen it being all about conteolling politics, at least not directly.

At the end of the day I barely get what you mean by controlling politics, since it is not apparent on the communities I visit. Also keep in mind, I’m not american so if this is about the culture war over there or a republicans vs democrats thing I probably won’t notice it since it hasn’t affected any discussion I’ve had.

But I would need concrete examples for me to see it as authoritarian because in a vacuum as I explained I can see communities pulling this kind of conduct without it being about controlling the discourse per se but more about helping communities.

Edit: forgot to say, but if it was over politics I don’t think that would necessitate a ban lemmy.world (or alternative ly that would mean complete defederation) since it has no clear political affiliation, I see it just it being massive and difficult to moderate otherwise they would have targeted many other toxic instances way before touching .world.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

So if you take Reveddit, and go look at Reddit communities you’ll see massive political disparity in how comments are moderated. Go look at beehaw modlogs and you’ll see the same thing.

If you personally aren’t able to see the bias in moderating, sorry I don’t know how to teach that.