Why YSK: Beehaw defederated from Lemmy.World and Sh.itjust.works effectively shadowbanning anyone from those instances. You will not be able to interact with their users or posts.

Edit: A lot of people are asking why Beehaw did this. I want to keep this post informational and not color it with my personal opinion. I am adding a link to the Beehaw announcement if you are interested in reading it, you can form your own views. https://beehaw.org/post/567170

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Dude I’m voicing my opinion. You apparently don’t even disagree you just dislike like I’m expressing it? What’s your deal?

• rwhitisissle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Your opinion encompasses a criticism of another Lemmy community on the basis that it doesn’t operate in a way that you like. Which is fine. But you framed it as a fault of the community itself and not a matter of personal preference. My “deal” is that I don’t think that’s very cash money of you, pimp.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t give two fucks what you think about the “framing” of what I’ve said. Would you get upset if someone said “McDonald’s is shit food” or “Reality TV is shit television”?

Anyways, your criticism has absolutely nothing to do with the content of my comment. You’ve said you agree with me so 🤷‍♀️

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I guess it depends on the context. If someone said that McDonald’s quality was fine for the amount of money you spent and is a fine choice if you’re traveling and need to grab something quick to eat and your immediate reply was just that it was shit, I would say that if your opinion is given as a response to someone else’s and is poorly worded or thought out, you’ve automatically opened yourself to having your opinion criticized.

That said, do you not recall that your original response in this thread was to someone who said about Beehaw

This is not authoritarianism, in this case they said it is due to their inability to moderate.

And you disagreed with THEIR opinion?

This entire thing is me thinking your opinion is bad, while your original comment was you saying you think someone else’s opinion is bad.

Pot, meet kettle.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

This entire thing is me thinking your opinion is bad, while your original comment was you saying you think someone else’s opinion is bad.

Dude you’ve provided exactly zero counterpoints to my position. You think my opinion is bad, fine.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Except, I did. Your claim is that Beehaw is authoritarian. Authoritarianism, however, is a political system. This is an explicit example of hyperbole to the point of misrepresentation because authoritarianism presumably ignores the sovereignty and political rights of the members of a nation state. Beehaw is just a website, one in which you can voluntarily participate, but one in which you’re also neither product nor customer. You have no valid claim to any tangible rights on that server. It’s much closer to just disliking a restaurant because it doesn’t serve the food you want and asks you to leave after you keep ordering stuff they just don’t serve. If you want to be able to say slurs or whatever without repercussion, there’s plenty of places on the internet you can get your kicks by doing that. You just can’t do it there.

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Dude you’re aware admins/mods are governing bodies right? Authoritarianism applies. If you don’t like how I use the word, tough.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

By your logic, any position in any institution with any authority of any kind over literally anything or anyone is a “governing body.” Which is, to be perfectly honest, very dumb if you genuinely believe that. It means any moderator of any website is, by your definition, authoritarian because they’ll ban you for breaking the rules. I’m guessing you think lemmy.ca, lemmy.world, and every other lemmy instance with any kind of moderation is by definition authoritarian in its organization. In which case, I have to wonder…why are you even here if you hate it so much?

• CorruptBuddha@lemmy.ca
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

By your logic

Not by my logic, that’s how it is, admins govern over communities.

I can understand why my perspective upsets you, you’re controlling my dude.