Why YSK: Beehaw defederated from Lemmy.World and Sh.itjust.works effectively shadowbanning anyone from those instances. You will not be able to interact with their users or posts.

Edit: A lot of people are asking why Beehaw did this. I want to keep this post informational and not color it with my personal opinion. I am adding a link to the Beehaw announcement if you are interested in reading it, you can form your own views. https://beehaw.org/post/567170

• DaleSwanson@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If someone from lemmy.world posts to a BeeHaw community right now, I know BeeHaw users won’t be able to see the post, but what about other lemmy.world users? What about users from kbin.social or any other instance? If people from other instances can still see the comments that seems like you could still have a conversation, just with a group of people that can’t see it. Not sure how it works though, so curious if anyone here knows for sure.

• Soullioness@atosoul.asuscomm.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If you’re from Lemmy.World and post in a Beehaw.org community then Lemmy.World users will still see your post. But no other instance will. This is because all other instances look to Beehaw to get Beehaw posts. And without Beehaw federation your post never makes it to Beehaw and therefore it never reaches/gets relayed to other instances.

• zalack@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My understanding is that other users on the same home instance would still be able to see each other’s content.

• -hypnotoad-@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I assume someone from a third community federated with both sh.itjust.works and beehaw would see a disjointed conversation that includes both beehaw and sh.itjust.works replies. I do agree that it’s still valuable to subscribe as those conversations are still valuable and they will probably refederate in the future.