As a new reddit exile, I may be misunderstanding this.

In theory something like a !gaming community could crop up on multiple large instances, especially during the mass exodus while instances are getting hammered with spikes in volume.

If that’s the case, we’ll have fragmented communities across instances. Is there any way besides subscribing to each of them to combine them into a sort of multi-reddit type aggregation? Or is this considered a temporary (albeit important to adoption) problem during the crazy stages?

• rockyTron@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

What would you call them?

I know on Kbin instances you can group feed with hashtags, which can group posts, magazines (“communities” on Lemmy), miniblogs under the same feed, and will fetch from other protocols beside Kbin and Lemmy as well. But they’re just called “tags”

Here’s my brainstorm list for grouped communities from federated instances:

Feeds

Clusters

Slices (slice:lemmings::pod:whales)

Villages

Hamlets

And/or Meta- or Mulit- prefixed to any of these…

Anyways just shouting into the void here lol. Is there a meta thread for Lemmy development? I’m not s developer so I have nothing of substance to add, just a use case to suggest as a user.

• zach@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Feeds, probably. I don’t believe that there’s any meta-thread, but Lemmy does have a Matrix channel. I imagine that is where you would find that type of discussion.

#lemmy-space:matrix.org