As a new reddit exile, I may be misunderstanding this.

In theory something like a !gaming community could crop up on multiple large instances, especially during the mass exodus while instances are getting hammered with spikes in volume.

If that’s the case, we’ll have fragmented communities across instances. Is there any way besides subscribing to each of them to combine them into a sort of multi-reddit type aggregation? Or is this considered a temporary (albeit important to adoption) problem during the crazy stages?

• Gray@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I’m pretty sure that when one instance blocks another, both become unreachable to each other. Mind you, that doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to see lemmygrad if you go there manually. One nice thing about Lemmy is that you don’t need an account to see everything. You just won’t be able to vote or comment without an account. Which to be honest is how it should be. One of the main reasons an instance would consider blocking another is if they don’t want to be brigaded by people that aren’t interested in having an honest conversation within their community. With that said, if instance A blocks instance B, there will almost certainly always exist an instance C that can still reach both other instances. So if lemmyworld ever did get blocked by instances you’re really interested in, there should always be a way to have both.

• Pspspspspsps@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’ve had my first opportunity to see how this works first hand now actually with beehaw defederating with us and it seems to confirm this, except I can’t seem to see new posts added which answers the question for definite lol.

So when on my lemmy.world account I can no longer see new posts from communities I’ve subscribed to on beehaw, but I can still see the posts from before defederating if I go to them directly. This is true at least using the jerboa app, maybe it’s different on browser but I’m a phone user so I don’t use the browser lol. I had to switch to my feddit.uk account to see new beehaw posts on my subscribed communities to confirm it wasn’t just a slow community.

Hopefully it becomes easier to subscribe to communities on the app sooner rather than later so I can actually have the energy to join these communities on multiple accounts so if more defederation happens I can still just read them haha