• olbaidiablo @lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

So, once you’re done your 600 posts, you’ll go somewhere else where you can scroll endlessly, then slowly find yourself more and more going to that somewhere else instead of twitter. Elon twitler Musk is an idiot.

• Linuxduck@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I never really used twitter, but if I used it like i use ANY other social media site, yeah. I would fill that up in like an hour… and I use these sites all day long…

• Nepenthe@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Oh, absolutely. It seriously discourages any kind of conversation, because no one will want to read through the replies and waste their content limit.

All attention will be skewed from heavily favoring big accounts to catering ONLY to big accounts, who may see a drop off in fan interaction for the same reason. People respond to celebrity accounts to gush and ask venue/content questions and such. This is the death knell to any of those questions ever being seen.

For myself, I used to follow a TON of microflashfic accounts, which by self-imposed rules are short, concise stories told in 140 characters or less. A bit like r/twosentencehorror but they tended to feel a lot more impactful.

I loved and miss them, and I consider it a lost art that I wish I could bring at least to mastodon. But because they fit in less than a single tweet by necessity, I could easily read through a hundred in 20 minutes if I just went through the tag.

• Ken27238@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Soon you will only have access to the post button 24 times a day. Elon gotta watch his limit.

• AndyGHK@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Oh, Elon won’t have a limit. Elon Mode is a standard feature in Elon’s products.

• auhu@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If this man had any kind of limit placed on his twitter account he would get so physically ill that heroin withdrawal will look pleasant

• popemichael@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I wonder if Reddit is going to do this next…

I can see them making people log in to see the posts.

I can see Reddit limiting upvotes per day. Only 300 but “unlimited” with Reddit premium, etc

Reddit just loves going full Twitter

• chowder@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Im just saying, he hasn’t been paying bills and it’s the first of the month.

• Rakn
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah. That feels more likely. Twitter has been running for years and likely isn’t a stranger to something like this.

• Linuxduck@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah something I thought since he was “forced” to buy twitter, was he would just burn it to the ground. What does he care?

• Thurstylark@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Less servers able to serve requests means either get overloaded and have downtime, or rate limit and stay up.

Both are bad, but rate limiting is less bad.

• catastrophicblues@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I see, I guess at that scale API requests add up. I suppose it is a solution, and if replies don’t count, the limits are rather reasonable.

• Thurstylark@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

Yeah, exactly.

Also worth mentioning, the scale of Twitter also means that they have contractual obligations when it comes to uptime (for advertisers etc), so downtime could be very costly indeed.

• ugh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Even paying users have a rate limit. It’s a ridiculous idea, especially financially.

• Norgur
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Okay, I might not have gotten the lingo yet: I see so many posts about “Rule” and I don’t get it. Can someone ELI5?

• mustardman
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

The old subreddit had one rule: you had to make a post before leaving. People started just saying “rule” in the title as a joke about begrudgingly complying with the rule.

• bxyrk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Duuuuuude thank you. I was kinda close going on context but it makes sense now!

• mustardman
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Trust me, it took weeks/months of trying to get the context then as well lmao.

• Cubes@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Lol there’s probably so many scrapers because he made the API so expensive

• bxyrk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Gah, all you people in here are gonna have me jumping into mastodon before long…

This federated thing is pretty dang cool.