I am asking this question because the young adult in question, is me. I am to move out in a few years, and it feels impossible to move far away from my hometown (which I want). I have no idea how to juggle both finances, a job, and the move itself. With the global inflation going on, it feels impossible getting hold of a decent apartment to rent.

What advice would you give someone like me? What should I keep in mind and prepare* myself for? What are your experiences moving out, or moving away from your hometown? How long did the process take for you, and how did you manage keeping a job that paid all your taxes and rent? If you could look back and give younger you some advice, what would you tell them?

(If it provides any context, I am North European.)

• edric@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Lots of advice here already, so I’ll mention one that is overlooked by a lot of people: learn to cook for yourself at home. You will save a lot of money and be more healthy in the process if you prepare your own meals.

• JoBo@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Sewing is good but basic plumbing and carpentry can wait until the OP is is a position to buy a home. Learning how to make your landlord do necessary repairs without getting evicted (and being aware that this may be impossible) is a more important skill for a tenant.

• Globulart@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

And learn what basic plumbing really is. The second you question whether you should be trying something you should probably stop and ring a pro.

Also to add, don’t attempt any electrical stuff beyond rewiring a plug. A mistake with plumbing would cost you a fair bit of money, a mistake with electricity costs your life.

• C4d@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yes; my advice was going to be to get hold of one decent cooking pot and one decent chef’s knife and learn to cook.

Prepping my own food and being able to bulk cook meals for a few days to a few weeks ahead was a big advantage. Also helped me to get to know people and make friends.

You need a decent pot. And a knife you can maintain and sharpen. And to learn to cook.

• @C4d @scytale It’s nice when people actually know how to take care of a knife. It’s WAY MORE IMPORTANT to know how to cook, shop, and plan meals, but there are two basic things you should know:

- Don’t drag the blade along the fucking cutting board! Stop it. Use the back (spine) instead when pushing food off
        - Swipe it along the honing rod at a 15-30 degree angle every now and then when you notice it feeling sluggish or dull - look it up if you’re not sure